Join now - be part of our community!

HC22E Sample rate

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
raymcnamara
Visitor

HC22E Sample rate

I have a HC22E camcorder and was previously very happy. When I switched to iMac the quality of video after transfer to the iMac either in iMovie or Final Cut Express has been appalling.

I use Firewire iLink to acheive the transfer.

I get a message after transfer stating that the audio sample rate is a mismatch and this might affect the audio and video. The operating instruction for the camcorder state that sample rate is 32Khz for 12 bit and 48Khz for 16 bit.

iMovie and FCE require 48Khz

How can I tell what sample rate my camcorder is using?

Can I change the sample rate?

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ray - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, on the HC22E it is only possible to adjust the audio quality - although I am not sure if this would cause the editing issues that you are describing. The menu setting for this is on page 45 of the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2586501131.pdf

The two options are 12-bit and 16-bit.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ray - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As far as I am aware, on the HC22E it is only possible to adjust the audio quality - although I am not sure if this would cause the editing issues that you are describing. The menu setting for this is on page 45 of the manual:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2586501131.pdf

The two options are 12-bit and 16-bit.

Thanks,

Simon

raymcnamara
Visitor

Thanks Simon,

I thought I knew my way around this manual but clearly not.

I think it is unlikely that this is the cause of the poor quality.

I looks like the interlacing in the DV recording means that iMovie discards every other line.

Regards

Ray

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again Ray :slight_smile:

I am by no means knowledgable about Mac issues, but it may have happened as a result of an update to iMovie. Is this something that you have installed lately?

Simon

raymcnamara
Visitor

Hello Simon

I have come to the conclusion that the interlacing is the problem.

I trasferred the same tape using Windows Movie Maker and both Final Cut Express and iMovie 11.

None of them preserve the picture quality visible on the LCD of the camcorder on the TV when played back directly from the camcorder.

There are lots of cases on the net where people have described the same issue. Nobody seems to have a solution. Looking back at old DVDs I have made I can see that the quality was not great on those either.

I guess my expectations have been raised by looking at HD clips from new phones and cameras. Clips from my son's iPhone and Sony SLR are terrific by comparison.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Sony HD camcorder and will give that a try.

Thanks for giving the matter your consideration.

Regards

Ray