Join now - be part of our community!

DSC HX20V - trouble downloading PlayMemories

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Tarzantony2
Visitor

DSC HX20V - trouble downloading PlayMemories

Hi there

I have just bought this camera and getting to grips with all it offers. Trouble is I don't seem to be able to download PM to my laptop (W7). I can get as far as 'initial set up - connect your camera to computer' but it doesn't recognise the camera is connected when it actually is. I have imported pictures with Windows so cable/connection is fine.

I have tried with all the different camera settings, modes, MTP, mass storage, LUN, GPS on/off but nothing works. I have seen on this forum that PM is not necessary as other software will do but that is not really the point. I would like to judge for myself.

I did see a thread with a similar issue but there was no conclusion - except try a new cable.

Any help from you experienced guys would be appreciated.

T2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

I have seen threads from a few Windows 7 users who have been unable to install the PlayMemories software with a similar error. I have taken a look at the cyber shot user guide for this model and have seen that there is a page describing possibly actions to take if the software will not install:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX20V_HX30_HX30V_guide/en/contents/08/02/02/02.html

I appreciate that you may have already tried some of the stuff in here but this is a good starting point. First of all, are you logged into the computer as an administrator and also, on the camera itself, is the 'LUN Setting' set to 'Multi' (as per the second line in the notes box).

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

I have seen threads from a few Windows 7 users who have been unable to install the PlayMemories software with a similar error. I have taken a look at the cyber shot user guide for this model and have seen that there is a page describing possibly actions to take if the software will not install:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX20V_HX30_HX30V_guide/en/contents/08/02/02/02.html

I appreciate that you may have already tried some of the stuff in here but this is a good starting point. First of all, are you logged into the computer as an administrator and also, on the camera itself, is the 'LUN Setting' set to 'Multi' (as per the second line in the notes box).

Thanks,

Simon

Tarzantony2
Visitor

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I have tried every permutation of setting and mode, I have also tried all the trubleshooting suggestions all return the same non-recognition message at the same point. Sooo frustrating!

I have successfully downloaded PM on a home PC (Vista) using the DSC HX20V so the issue seems to be on my laptop. I wonder if the partitioning has anything to do with it? I have about 4GB free on the Cdrive though so don't see how it can. Mysterious.

Any suggestions welcome!

T2

Mick2011
New

It's more likely to be the different OS that's causing the problem; the state of the hard drive shouldn't be an issue.

Did you install the PM base package from the camera itself? This should be available when you connect the camera to your laptop. With that installed, you can usually download the extended version.

Cheers

Mick

Tarzantony2
Visitor

Tried installing from website and also camera but each time I get to the same point in the download where the pc doesn't recognise the camera on any setting/mode...seems to me every time I buy Sony I get issues sooo frustrating.

T2

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I know that this isn't ideal but you may wish to 'cut your losses' and perhaps use something like a USB card reader to obtain your images from your camera. I know that you should be able to install PlayMemories Home in an ideal world but I cannot really offer any further advice to what Mick2011 has already suggested as I don't really use this piece of software. In theory, as long as you are downloading the latest version of the Playmemories Home software, it should install without a hitch but I am aware of issues when using a 64 bit system to install and I am equally aware of how frustrating it must be.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.en_IE.title
@5146282201021093
Visitor

Hi,

I just bought my sony hx200v and noticed that the highest video fps was 50.

Now in most of my research prior to purchase, reviews said the highest fps was 60.

Is there 2 different versions of this camera?

Mick2011
New

Hi, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, there are two versions of every video-capable camera on the market: one for the USA (NTSC 60fps) and one for the European market (PAL 50fps). You often see more reviews of the US versions, and of course they will quote the US specs by default.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.en_IE.title
@5146282201021093
Visitor

Thanks for the reply and welcome Mick. That is a shame I didn't know about the two versions before I purchased it, otherwise I would have bought online from the US. Oh well, still a great camera all the same.

Mick2011
New

I think you did the right thing, to be honest. Just for future reference:

The two versions are designed to work with other devices – TVs etc – common to their respective regions. People do regularly run into compatibility issues using NTSC cameras in PAL regions.

Buying a US version is possibly even less clever when you consider the US warranty is not valid in Europe.. for most people that's a good enough reason to stick with the EU version.

Hope you're enjoying your camera :cool:

Cheers

Mick