Join now - be part of our community!

RX100 - Movie Settings ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Scotview
New

RX100 - Movie Settings ?

Could someone clarify the following:

When you press the movie record button and say the select dial is set to Intelligent Auto, will the movie be recorded in Intelligent Auto mode OR will the movie be recorded in the setting chosen for MOVIE, for example P setting ?

It is obvious that if the Record button is pressed and the select dial is set at Panorama, the movie is not taken in Panorama mode, but what settings does the camera use to record the movie ?

Hope I have made my question understandable.

Message was edited by: Scotview

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Scotview, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It's a good question; not immediately obvious which mode gives you most control.

You can shoot video while the camera is set to any one of the top dial shooting modes, simply by pressing the Movie record button on the rear of the camera. The camera will automatically control exposure (shutter speed and aperture settings) if you do this, regardless of whether you're set to Manual or one of the P/A/S modes.

Manual control is enabled when you use the dedicated Movie mode on the mode dial, by using the control ring on the rear of the camera. The RX100 is particularly versatile in this respect; it's worth playing with the dedicated Movie mode to see what's possible.

Let me know if you need any more help :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Scotview, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It's a good question; not immediately obvious which mode gives you most control.

You can shoot video while the camera is set to any one of the top dial shooting modes, simply by pressing the Movie record button on the rear of the camera. The camera will automatically control exposure (shutter speed and aperture settings) if you do this, regardless of whether you're set to Manual or one of the P/A/S modes.

Manual control is enabled when you use the dedicated Movie mode on the mode dial, by using the control ring on the rear of the camera. The RX100 is particularly versatile in this respect; it's worth playing with the dedicated Movie mode to see what's possible.

Let me know if you need any more help :cool:

Cheers

Mick

Scotview
New

Hi Mick2011,

Thanks for your very quick reply.

I've tested the camera and it looks like it does go to auto exposure mode (movie P) when the red button is pressed on any dial setting,  other than MOVIE or the "green i camera" symbol.

Also in this default movie mode (P) , Exposure Compensation can be set to the front control ring for brightness adjustment during real time video shooting........amazing.

Then when the red button is pressed to stop the movie recording  the camera goes back to the stills setting, eg Aperture control.

I use the camera with a spotting scope and take a continual mixture of stills and video, so this functionality will be great.

Your correct in that I'll need to get in some testing and practice.............but what a piece of technology !

Again, thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Regards

Scotview.

Mick2011
New

Great! Hope you have many fruitful hours with it :cool:

Cheers

Mick