Join now - be part of our community!

Can't get books to go into Library

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
queenofpuddings
Visitor

Can't get books to go into Library

Hi there - I've been trying to download my first ebook but with no success. I get as far as the book downloading to my computer. I click on the Option which says to Open the book with Reader Library (default). The next thing is the Reader Library comes up on the screen but on the Computer page (from the menu at the left side of the Reader, ie where it goes Library,Status, Ebook sotre etc) and I see the first page of the book. However, when I go up to Library and Status there is nothing there.

How do I get the download to go onto the Library?

I'm not at all techy minded - and I'd hoped it would just go in automatically. Any help would be most appreciated.

In case it is of any relevance I have Norton 360 and my computer is Windows XP.

thanks

Message was edited by: queenofpuddings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi queenofpuddings, marylou72 & carpetmojo,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Once the download completes..

Locate the Zip file that you just downloaded to your computer..
Right-click on the first file and choose extract..At this point I suggest you move the files to a library folder or similar in your user files so that you can easily find the files.
Open Reader Library, go to the File menu and choose the Import Files option..
Find the files that you have just extracted, select them and click Open..

If you have already downloaded the books to your PC you may have to complete some of the points above depending on how far you have progressed..

To transfer the free books to your reader -

Connect your reader to your PC via USB..

In the Reader Library click on Click Library at the top of the left-hand menu (you should see the free ebooks listed)

Click on the eBook that you wish to transfer and drag-and-drop it to Reader further down the lefthand
menu. (see image below)

get books.JPG

Your books should now load onto your Reader.

Hope this helps..

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
oldpostman
Visitor

Hello queenofpudding

Same thing happened to me.

Have you tried:

File- Import files, then choose the folder that you downloaded your book into.

Select the book, then press ok.

Good luck

Message was edited by: oldpostman

marylou72
Visitor

i have the same problem. when you go to import files, where then do you go to find the file you want to import? i know this may sound silly but i honestly do not have a clue and i am getting very fustrated by by own stupidity!!!!

carpetmojo

Trouble here too - I have downloaded what seems to be my free classics (Wild Card choice) - which don't seem to be anywhere near 100 - and were sitting in my Doc's in 3 seperate files.

I click "Move this file" on one, to Adobe Library, & the next two I move to Sony Reader.

But do I ?

Not according to either - no Library, contents, or any spark of hope.

The files have gone somewhere, obviously, but quite where I don't know.

And, to date, when I plug my PRS-650 into my PC (XP), it tells me the battery is charging (it is already fully charged) and I can't get it to show/progress beyond this.

As in another contributor's case, I am not techy by any means, & assumed I was paying £200 for a device that would do (what seems on the face of it, with the technology/cost/advertising etc...) everything required of it automatically.

Surely we are the people the thing is aimed at ?

And the User Manual, I fear, is not a great piece of coherent literature to me - like all these things, it assumes a familiarity and knowledge I am far from happy with !

Is it really beyond the wit of manufacturers to produce a relatively idiot friendly device ?

carpetmojo

Pt 2 - sorry to pop up again;

Plugged in too see if anything had changed - and recieved panel on PC saying :-

Exception Processing Message c000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c

On the PRS it told me to reset, and switch on. If the message didn't dissapear, contact Support (!)

Well, it didn't change the first time, but did the second, and the warning panel went from the  PC screen - and the PRS returned to charging logo/status,  DO NOT DISCONNECT and I can't get it TO CHANGE ! (dESPITE GOING THROUGH THE REMOVE DEVICE SAFELY PROCEDURE.

So now what should I do ! ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi queenofpuddings, marylou72 & carpetmojo,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Once the download completes..

Locate the Zip file that you just downloaded to your computer..
Right-click on the first file and choose extract..At this point I suggest you move the files to a library folder or similar in your user files so that you can easily find the files.
Open Reader Library, go to the File menu and choose the Import Files option..
Find the files that you have just extracted, select them and click Open..

If you have already downloaded the books to your PC you may have to complete some of the points above depending on how far you have progressed..

To transfer the free books to your reader -

Connect your reader to your PC via USB..

In the Reader Library click on Click Library at the top of the left-hand menu (you should see the free ebooks listed)

Click on the eBook that you wish to transfer and drag-and-drop it to Reader further down the lefthand
menu. (see image below)

get books.JPG

Your books should now load onto your Reader.

Hope this helps..

queenofpuddings
Visitor

Thanks oldpostman and thalamus for your help. I've tried again but still can't get anything onto my Reader Library.

I have managed to download a book from WH Smith onto my Reader and it shows up on my Adobe Digital Editions list.

However, my Sony Library list is still empty. I've followed your instructions carefully Thalamus and it all seems to be going well when I do it - but then nothing turns up on my Sony Library.

Carpetmojo and Marylou - glad it isn't only me! Carpetmojo - the classics also saves as 3 files for me as well.

Does it make any diffference to the advice that I've manged to download a book which has gone onto my reader?

it is frustrating as I can't wait to get my free 100 books

many thanks for your help everyone - any more suggestions I can try?

carpetmojo

Hi Queen Pud - yes, it is a little reassuring to realise it's not just you !

I just wish Sony had realised that they want people like us to buy the thing, as well as those more "tech-gifted".

I really don't understand why the whole thing can't be 3 simple operations - d/load the software, d/load some books (free or paid-for) then plug in the reader and off you go. I don't regard having to solve problems as a virtue, frankly.

I wonder if makers, like Sony,ever look in on Forums like this, to see if they're doing things right/wrong/OK ? Even, if they can help ?

However, I've entrusted the PRS to my son ( quite techy & PC wise, but still couldn't get things working), who is taking it with him on a visit to my brother-in-law, who actually designs & works with software, to see if it can be sorted out.

If I learn anything that will/may help you & others in our predicament, I'll post.

Oops, just recieved email from son, who says it's all sorted, will show me when gets back in a few days. So fingies crossed !

queenofpuddings
Visitor

Totally agree carpetmojo. So glad your problem has been solved....do hope you might be able to shed light on it for me too.

I wish I had a techy brain but I think I've tried all the possibilites I can and I still can't get anything to show up on My Library and can't get past having the Classics books saved as zipped files on my Downloads file. How you move them to the Sony Reader LIbrary or Reader is a mystery!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

However, my Sony Library list is still empty. I've followed your  instructions carefully Thalamus and it all seems to be going well when I  do it - but then nothing turns up on my Sony Library.

Hi queenofpuddings,

How far did you get in the guide I posted.?

Have you extracted the downloaded files.?

Did you open the reader libary software and Import the files successfully.?