Join now - be part of our community!

Can't get books to go into Library

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
queenofpuddings
Visitor

Can't get books to go into Library

Hi there - I've been trying to download my first ebook but with no success. I get as far as the book downloading to my computer. I click on the Option which says to Open the book with Reader Library (default). The next thing is the Reader Library comes up on the screen but on the Computer page (from the menu at the left side of the Reader, ie where it goes Library,Status, Ebook sotre etc) and I see the first page of the book. However, when I go up to Library and Status there is nothing there.

How do I get the download to go onto the Library?

I'm not at all techy minded - and I'd hoped it would just go in automatically. Any help would be most appreciated.

In case it is of any relevance I have Norton 360 and my computer is Windows XP.

thanks

Message was edited by: queenofpuddings

20 REPLIES 20
jessicaphoebe
Visitor

ARGHHH - where is the folder that I downloaded my book into and who asked me where it should go in the first place?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I do hope that makes sense !

Sounds good to me..:smileyhappy:

carpetmojo

Thanks Thalmus, praise indeed - but it's due mainly to the Yooof input !

However......

Ummmm........... slight booboo -..... "library panel (top R )..."   should  read ...." library panel (top L)...." !

[Well, it was on mine, anyway.]

Sorry about that.   :smileyblush:

carpetmojo

Hi Q of P  - a tech-illiterete's version of wot I've done thanks to son ! Hope it's right, worked for me. I'm also XP.

Plug in Reader/PRS.

(Open Reader, and MyDocs, or where-ever books are, and minimise them so theres room to deal with both)

Find your ZIP file with the books you've d/loaded.

Rt clik the ZIP logo, and hit "Extract all."

The WizArd should pop up, hit "Next", & again, wait for extraction to finish (watch bar), then hit finish when it's available.

Reader Folder/panel should pop showing title/s .

Drag title over to  small "Library panel (top L). If more than one, hit bottom title, then top title, & drag the lot over.

WAIT (" Status" can be checked if you want.)

When the Status shows finished, they should be on the PRS.

I do hope that makes sense !

Good luck.:smileyhappy:

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I've edited your post carpetmojo, hope all is correct now..

queenofpuddings
Visitor

Oooooh well done carpetmojo and the yoouff of today!

I've managed to download the classics...well about 20 of them anyway. I had thought there was supposed to be 100 but at least 20 is something to be getting on with - also my Library is now showing items!

I'm delighted, thanks to you and Thalamus for all your help!

queenofpuddings
Visitor

a quick question for anyone following this thread. I'm almost certain that when I went onto the Sony Reader ebook store on Christmas day that there were links from it to Waterstones, WH Smith,Mills & Boon and also to 3 sites from which you could get free older books - but don't see the link now. I think one was Gutenberg - does anyone know where that link is or what the other 2 free sites were. Thanks

carpetmojo

Thrills and joy unconfined !!

Well done Queen Pud , away you go!

I'm absolutely loving mine, I have to say, and almost (but not yet!) looking forward to audiobooks and the Library service facility.

Well, perhaps not just yet, eh ? Have a holiday or something relaxing first.

Re: the free books lark, yes, hmmm... I too haven't got my 100, but am up in the 50/60 - but have to confess there's only so much Oscar Wilde I can take, and have cut down a bit on the Illiads and Kipling - but the Dickens is great, and have just started "Treasure Island"  - and after 40 years from last encounter, well, what a ripping yarn.

A tip - have a roam around unlikely places for folders/zips, I found a few more that way. And, in the pay-for department, I would steer clear of WHS from my experience - paid for 2 books and none have arrived after 2 days, which may be my PC/me. Waterstones, however, is good, and managed to take £8 from me pretty painlessly for a great hardback I couldn't wait for in paperback !

And the thing really is a very satisfying piece of engineering, I find, solid and comfy almost !

There are doubtless problems ahead, but I reckon it was worth the effort.

Am going to try the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle from Gutenberg next !

Happy New Year.

carpetmojo

Our posts crossed !

Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg (urg?) and Manybooks, sorry you may have Google for proper website names.

All of these I have used and work !!

And thety are  there in the silly My Sony site, but SLOWLY and you need to dig a bit.

Hopr this helps.

And some commercial sites have a few freebies - but very few.

queenofpuddings
Visitor

Happy New Year to you to carpetmojo -  and thanks for all the extra info. You're a star!

I'll have gander about the zipped files to see if there are any more classics lurking about there...though I'm not too fussed if they are just a heap of Oscar Wilde, they can remain zipped, most of his stuff's a bit too jolly for me.

I must say I am enjoying the Reader - more than I thought I would.

Isn't it great to have these free classics. It is such a joy to read books you haven't even thought about in years I'm swithering between Crime and Punishment and Jane Eyre!

Really appreciate the help on this forum. I find with these new techy things that I kind of feel a bit hopeless when I've followed instructions and nowt happens. It is always so very reassuring to find out that you aren't the only technical dinosaur - mind you now we've sussed the free books there will be no stopping us!

Thanks for the added post with the free book sites listed - fantastic!

Next thing I'm going to do is to hunt out a great cover for my pocket edition Reader to keep it cosy in this winter weather - and hopefully free from scratches.

Do pass on my thanks to your youthful helper as well!