Join now - be part of our community!

Kobo file won't open on PRS-350

SOLVED
Jothebulb
Explorer

Kobo file won't open on PRS-350

Yesterday, I bought three books via the Kobo bokstore on the Reader app. All three downloaded & opened fine in the Reader app, but when I synced them with my eReader, only two were successful. The third (The Goldfinch) seems to transfer very quickly, even though it is the largest file, and when I open it on the eReader, all I get is a blank screen with 'Page Error' displayed.

I have tried:

1. deleting the file from the eReader & trying the sync again - same error

2. deleting the file from the eReader & REader app, redownloading it from Kobo & syncing again - same error.

3. deleting the file the Reader app and downloading it directly from the Kobo web browser, importing that to the Reader app & syncing that - same error.

4. Resetting the eReader & trying 1-3 again, with the same results.

Both the eReader & Reader app have the most up-to-date software.

I believe this file may be incompatible with hte eReader. Does anyone else have experience of this?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jothebulb
Explorer

An update received from Kobo last night:

'We are sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your purchase.Unfortunately EPUB 3 title "The Goldfinch" by By Donna Tartt can only be downloaded over Kobo servers to Kobo platforms and are not available to third party devices,specifically those that require a download to the computer or sideloading.

We truly apologise for the confusion and inconvenience. To discern the format of a book, look at the "Available on these devices/Read on this" section of the listing. Books that are available for less than seven (7) devices are generally not compatible with third party devices and can only be downloaded over Kobo servers to Kobo platforms.'

That's slightly concerning, as I accessed the Kobo bookstore from the Sony Reader app. You might assume that anything bought through this route would be compatible with the Sony range of eReaders.

There seems to be no particularly obvious way of knowing that an ebook bought from Kobo will work on a Sony eReader, *unless* you can see whether it is available 'for less than seven (7) devices', which then then tells you that the file is 'generally not compatible with third party devices'...

Any how, Kobo have offered me a refund for the file, so I guess I'll need to pack the paperback version for my holiday.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jothebulb
Explorer

An update received from Kobo last night:

'We are sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your purchase.Unfortunately EPUB 3 title "The Goldfinch" by By Donna Tartt can only be downloaded over Kobo servers to Kobo platforms and are not available to third party devices,specifically those that require a download to the computer or sideloading.

We truly apologise for the confusion and inconvenience. To discern the format of a book, look at the "Available on these devices/Read on this" section of the listing. Books that are available for less than seven (7) devices are generally not compatible with third party devices and can only be downloaded over Kobo servers to Kobo platforms.'

That's slightly concerning, as I accessed the Kobo bookstore from the Sony Reader app. You might assume that anything bought through this route would be compatible with the Sony range of eReaders.

There seems to be no particularly obvious way of knowing that an ebook bought from Kobo will work on a Sony eReader, *unless* you can see whether it is available 'for less than seven (7) devices', which then then tells you that the file is 'generally not compatible with third party devices'...

Any how, Kobo have offered me a refund for the file, so I guess I'll need to pack the paperback version for my holiday.