Join now - be part of our community!

Who do I talk to about an idea for a product?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lauram307
Visitor

Who do I talk to about an idea for a product?

Hi

I have an idea for a product and don't see anywhere on the Sony Website pointing me in the direction of a contact that will discuss new and innovative products with consumers.  I do notice Sony is all about imagination, innovation and new ideas, so why don't we have somewhere to submit our product ideas or find out if a particular product exists or is in the process of being developed?  If our ideas are used by Sony in the development of new technology, does Sony have a policy of compensating their consumers for their ideas?  Any advice/comments would be appreciated.  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

I think you should send me all your ideas, then I can try and patent them take all the glory lol

Just kidding - if you really do feel you have found a gap then have you researched all the copyright / patents regarding anything similar or that may use a piece of that technology?

As far as I know its very hard to come up with anything new technology-wise as the large manufacturers usally have everything sewn up tight.

Apparently Windows 7 was 'my idea' according to the tv adverts but have I seen 1 dollar? no lol

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

I think you should send me all your ideas, then I can try and patent them take all the glory lol

Just kidding - if you really do feel you have found a gap then have you researched all the copyright / patents regarding anything similar or that may use a piece of that technology?

As far as I know its very hard to come up with anything new technology-wise as the large manufacturers usally have everything sewn up tight.

Apparently Windows 7 was 'my idea' according to the tv adverts but have I seen 1 dollar? no lol

lauram307
Visitor

Thank you for that comical, but useless response, lol.  Unfortunately it brings me no closer to an answer.  My idea is more of a creative enhancement to an existing line of products.  Still, I would love any further input.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

Have a look here:

http://www.sony.net/copyright/

"SONY and any of its affiliates  have the policy not to accept, from the third parties, any proposal  and/or offer for our products and/or services, including, without  limitation, ideas for new or improved products, technologies, designs,  processes, software, promotions, advertisements and marketing plans in  order to avoid any possible future confusion between such proposal  and/or offer from the third parties and our own. So you are requested  not to send any information which may contain your ideas, artwork,  inventions, developments, suggestions or other works ("Idea").
Despite the foregoing request, if you send your Idea to our attention,  then such Idea will be treated upon the understanding that you agreed  to the following terms:
(1) SONY has no obligation to treat the Idea as a confidential information.
(2) SONY has no obligation to study, evaluate or adopt the Idea.
(3) Even if SONY happens to adopt any idea identical or similar in  whole or in part to the Idea, SONY has no responsibility and shall not  be liable for any compensation therefor.
lauram307
Visitor

Thank you, you're a Darling!  Now I know Sony is not interested I'll take my idea elsewhere!  You're an absolute star for finding this.  Thank you for your time.  Take Care xx

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

My pleasure - sorry it wasn't better news for you.

lauram307
Visitor

hey, it just means I have to look for another manufacturer.....there are plenty out there!  Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. (sorry, I don't do smiley faces, but I am smiling) lol

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Have you tried Dragon's Den?

If you think you have a money making idea and nobody else has thought of this idea before it's worth a shot! Like jumpsuit mentioned.., if you can get a patent for your idea it would be a step in the right direction.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I'm not sure they'll hear you all the way back from 2011 :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

D'oh!

Didn't spot the date! I thought this post was new as it was at the top. Ho hum!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14