Join now - be part of our community!

Any planned updates for SRS-X77 and SRS-X99?

dnbcoastal
Explorer

Any planned updates for SRS-X77 and SRS-X99?

Hi,

I've owned the 77 and 99 since launch (May 2015) and picked up the HT-XT3 Jan 2016. I owned a Sonos 5 and 1 prior to changing over to Sony. What drew me to Sony was Google Cast.

I use the 77 and 99 solely for Google Cast apps (Google Play Music, Soundcloud, TuneIn, Mixcloud).

On to the points...

1. Do developers read these forums. When using Sonos I was beta testing app and firmware upgrades and there was a lot of updating and improving on the systems. It felt like a real investment in the product. I'm noticing with Sony there is a lack of firmware updates (between the hardware firmware and google cast firmware). Have the delelopers any roadmap or plans regarding bug fixes, new features and support of Google Cast's latest firmware

[edit on 2nd June 2016- Sony just updated firmware for hardware and google cast. Fair play. Adding support for hi res audio over google cast. Nice]

2. One thing I'd really like to see on both the 77 and 99 is some form of volume levelling. Too often I'm having to tweak the volume up and down

3. There is quite a difference between the volume slider levels when casting to the 77 versus the 99 i.e. 77 sounds really loud when only a 1/4 way where as 99 sounds very low. I've noticed this across various apps but I'm using Google Play Music mostly

4. The 99 seems to be lacking a bit with bass compared to the 77 or HT-XT3 (granted the XT3 has 2 subs). Considering the price and specs of the units

3 REPLIES 3
Xani.E
Explorer

Hi,

it's a bit offtopic: Can you use your SRS-X77/99 as surround speakers for the ht-xt3?

That's a feature that would make me buy the ht-xt3 immediately.

dnbcoastal
Explorer

HI,

Unfortunately no. As of now it is just the new 2016 range that allows the soundbar to use other speakers for surround sound (i think the HT-NT5 in conjunction with a ZR5 or ZR7).

Maybe a firmware update could add the feature but from sounds of it this feature is baked into the 2016 range (zr5, zr7, nt5).

raakost
New

Sony is old and tired, so leave them alone.