Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-EH20DAB CD problem

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Sunyoser
Explorer

CMT-EH20DAB CD problem

Hi guys, Chris here. Recently aquired a CMT-EH20DAB music centre. Nice sound under the circumstances! But - the CD mechanism has a fault. After a while, which can be anything between a minute and an hour, it stops playing the CD for a few seconds. I can usually hear the lens trying to re-focus, it bangs its head on the underside of the CD. Sometimes it will start playing again, from any of the following: 1) where it left off, 2) at the begiining of the track, 3) at the beginning of the CD, 4) a little further on from where it left off.

When it is really bad it will stop and the 'No Disk' message appears on the display.

Cleaning the lens and the CD's has no effect. I have tried several CDs, most of them bought and paid for originals, some almost unplayed because I only bought them a few days ago.

So I suspect the optics.

Now, there's a company called CPC who sell replacement optical mechanisms. I'm thinking of getting one. I'm well experienced in mending duff sound systems, been doing it for the last 55 years or so, also worked in electronics, so I'm no stranger to anti-static precautions and the like. What I need to know though, before I start stripping it down, is what model number of CD optical mechanism use on this model? I'd like to get one in advance so that I don't have all sorts of bits and pieces all over the place when I've got other work to do. Any ideas, anybody? Or is this a known problem that can be fixed in minutes with an elastic band and a bent paper-clip?

Cheers folks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sunyoser
Explorer

Hi cosmingpx8, I thought I'd replied but I moved the mouse and everything disappeared! Anyway, thanks for your help, your solution worked first time. I've listened to several hours of music today and it has all played without a hitch. In a way its a bit odd - I have come to expect to have to reset the PC every so often, but not a CD player...

Even if it needs resetting every few days the reset procedure is so simple that it won't be any hardship.

Thanks again, much appreciated,

Sunyoser

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hi reset or chec the mecanism prohaps ist desincronised 

profile.country.GB.title
Sunyoser
Explorer

Hi cosmingpx8, I thought I'd replied but I moved the mouse and everything disappeared! Anyway, thanks for your help, your solution worked first time. I've listened to several hours of music today and it has all played without a hitch. In a way its a bit odd - I have come to expect to have to reset the PC every so often, but not a CD player...

Even if it needs resetting every few days the reset procedure is so simple that it won't be any hardship.

Thanks again, much appreciated,

Sunyoser

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

YOU WELCOME and dont foget to clen the cd unit pike laserr

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hello agaien ay hope the problem to resolved very fast ok ay very glead to heal you thx for your mesages