Join now - be part of our community!

HT-XT1 sound bar , sound stutters

davemaden
Explorer

HT-XT1 sound bar , sound stutters

i have a sony HT-XT1 sound bar connected via HDMI leads to a sony kdl-40ex503 tv . all works ok but when i connect an amazon fire tv or an apple tv 2 or my blu ray to the sound bar ( even if they arent plugged into the mains ) the sound stutters every 5 seconds , when trying to watch the digital tv channels . yet the sound is fine if watching the fire tv or any device that i connect , its just when the aftv or the atv2 or blu ray are connected that i cant watch the tv channels without the stuttering. can someone help with this ? it has been working fine for about a month .thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive been having a think about this one (and im going to think outside the box too).  You may be experiencing what I am experiencing at the moment.  I'll explain.  When a certain device on my setup is switch on (connected via HDMI), I loose Freeview signal on some HD Channels.  I believe this is EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference).  You might be experiencing the same. 

You stated that when devices are connected to the soundbar (even if not plugged in), then the sound stutters when outputting the TVs audio to the soundbar.  Audio is fine when watching devices directly connected to the soundbar.  This therefore indicates to me that there is some type of interference, most likely on one or two cables.  The most likely two cables that could be effected in this scenario is the aerial lead connecting to the TV and the HDMI cable from the TV's HDMI-ARC port and the soundbar.

What you can do, is then test part of this theory out.  Instead of having the HDMI cable from the TV to the soundbar, connect an optical cable instead.  Test this and see what the results are.  Is the problem fixed? 

There is also a small type of component that you 'clip' onto aerial and HDMI cables.  These are called Ferrite Cores. They are pretty cheap on Amazon, you just need to get the right size for the cable.  I cannot vouch for them (yet) as I havent tested this out in my situation - will be purchasing them tomorrow :slight_smile:  So I really do not know if it works.

That really is the only thing I can think of at the moment, in regards to the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

davemaden
Explorer

thanks for that , i have just noticed that there was a software update sent to the tv recently and im wondering if this is the problem ? because last time an update for the kdl40ex503 was sent out , it stopped everyone watching bbc i-player , how do i let sony know ? im goig to try the set up on a different tv later and will also see if i can connect the optical lead . many thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just seeing how you got on with things to be honest.  Are you still having problems?  If you have had a software update recently, it doesnt hurt to factory reset the TV.  Its in System Settings > General Setup

Cheers

davemaden
Explorer

Hi ,  the problem is to do with the software update , as its affecting the HDMI(ARC) port . The book fr the sound bar says , if you have an ARC hdmi port , that you should connect to that , however this is where (ever since the s/ware update ) im getting the sound stuttering every 5 seconds . But ivefound that if i connect sound bar to another port ( none ARC ) and also connect the optical lead from tv to sound bar , then this stops the stuttering , so the equipment is ok . Thus making me think its the s/ware update causing the problem , ive e-mailed Sony and im awaiting reply . thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Please post back when/if Sony support come to a conclusion.  In curious to know myself.  Certain problems interest me from time to time (as in 'curious'), and this is one of them :slight_smile:

Cheers

davemaden
Explorer

im still waiting for a reply from Sony 

davemaden
Explorer

more problems now with this system , ive had to connect soundbar to another hdmi port (other than ARC) and use the optical out lead and all has worked fine for a month  now all of a sudden i cant adjust the volume with the tv remote , so have to use the soundbar remote , so ive gone into tv HOME menu and checked the "control for HDMI" and its greyed out as if its not connected , yet it is set to "on" . can anyone help with this ? thanks 

davemaden
Explorer

its as if the tv and soundbar arent syncing anmore , has anyone any ideas 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Considering the other problems you are now having - might be time to consider that you have a faulty soundbar?  Is there a possibility you can get it replaced from the retailer you purchased it from?

In regards to your latest problem.  See if the following works.

1. Turn TV off from the power mains (not just standby)
  2. Disconnect HDMI cable
  3. Turn TV on again (leave switched on for 2 mins)
  4. Turn TV back off again (from the mains)
  5. Reconnect HDMI cable
  6. Switch TV back on again.

Cheers