Join now - be part of our community!

NAS-E300HD noise from hard disk

profile.country.GB.title
chelon
Explorer

NAS-E300HD noise from hard disk

Have owned a Giga Juke for a couple of years and although pleased overall with the performance there is one thing which lets it down badly.

I listen to a lot of low volume music late at night. There is a barely audible hum from the unit - I'm almost certain it's coming from the hard disk. It's very annoying and I'm surprised that Sony would build any kind of hi-fi component which makes an inherent noise.

Have others noticed this issue, or is there a setting to eg spin down the disk so lessening the noise?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Anything with a mechanical HDD will make noise.  This is the nature of this technology.  The HDD platters must spin around, whilst an arm moves back an forth over the platters.  Kinda like a record on a record player.  Manufactures to 'dampen' this noise somewhat by preventing unnecessary vibrations, but cannot be totally silent due to the internal workings.  If you listen on low volume, could a set of headphones help? 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
chelon
Explorer

Thanks, I'm aware of how disks work and their noise emission, however thought Sony may have thought of a solution eg soundproof chamber, or reading data into the RAM then spinning down the disk, especially since this is sold as "hi-fi".

I like to fall asleep to music and often wake up in the middle of the night to hear the disk noise. It's incredible that it doesn't seem to spin itself down.

profile.country.GB.title
chelon
Explorer

This is still an issue - does anyone know if there is a solution?