Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TC-K511S Stereo Cassette deck

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Sony TC-K511S Stereo Cassette deck

I am a First Responder volunteer with the ambulance service and the other day was called out to an elderl lady. After tending her needs she still seemd somewhat distressed and while chatting she said that her Sony cassette player had stopped working and she was sad that she could no longer play her music.

As a retired electronics engineer I said I'd gave a look at it for her, see if there was anything obvious that I could fix.

I found the service manual on line and with this ascertained that the electronics were all fine but the tape mechanical unit, called the "Mechanism deck" in the manual, was not working, something was bust and wouldn't do anything. I removed it per the manual and I found that the pinch roller had come off its spindle and the spring had come out of the little groove. Put this back together but stll no joy.

Does anybody know where I might find a replacement Mechanism Deck please, I'll happily pay for one for her as she can't afford it!

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 08.42.54.png

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The expense will be higher and you will have to check the operation but maybe it will be easier to find the Deck and not just the spare.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I doubt if the spare is available.

However, there are some complete decks on eBay in the UK but quite expensive at around £150.

I see there is also a ‘Service Kit’ on eBay which comprises the pinch roller and two different rubber belts - perhaps this may point to the problem?

If it has the Sony TCM-190 transport mechanism, the common faults are that the large 'Capstan' rubber belt snaps or the plastic gear wheel splits from centre to rim (probably because the shaft is metal and the gear plastic and the metal expands). which means the shaft spins without turning the gear. I believe simply glueing the crack in the cog is an effective repair!

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Thanks for the help guys. The belts appear OK. If I turn the motor shaft by hand the capstan turns OK. There seems to be a problem within the somewhat comples lever system within the unit. I'll have a closer look.........

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Disassembled the mechanical unit, separated the motors from the main frame, for a closer look. The capstan belt is very slack! Apart from that I can't see anything obvious, can anyone here from the picture please??

IMG_5439.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

IMG_5439.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Blencogo - which gear wheel is that please??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That looks like it could be the problem. I don't know if the gap is as designed but I suspect not.

I did find a video showing how to replace the two rubber belts and the pinch roller. It also shows the repaired small cog on the motor shaft which is prone to splitting:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=nTkikH7qmp4&t=6s

Sadly though, if the large cog is faulty you can only watch eBay for a second hand mechanism.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Thanks for all that. I'll open it up again and have a closer look at both the motor shaft/gear and the big gear.

IMG_5439.jpgI also noticed this wavy thing coming off the bkig geara wheel? Wonder if it's a spring thats stretched or something - needs looking at!!

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Opened up again, no sign of a cracked gear on the spindle motor.

Also, the "wavy thing" has gone from the big gear wheel, probably a dog hair!

Looking at the big gear it has several gaps in the teeth and obviously doesnt rotate a full turn?

IMG_5449.jpgIMG_5450.jpg