Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TC-K511S Stereo Cassette deck

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Sony TC-K511S Stereo Cassette deck

I am a First Responder volunteer with the ambulance service and the other day was called out to an elderl lady. After tending her needs she still seemd somewhat distressed and while chatting she said that her Sony cassette player had stopped working and she was sad that she could no longer play her music.

As a retired electronics engineer I said I'd gave a look at it for her, see if there was anything obvious that I could fix.

I found the service manual on line and with this ascertained that the electronics were all fine but the tape mechanical unit, called the "Mechanism deck" in the manual, was not working, something was bust and wouldn't do anything. I removed it per the manual and I found that the pinch roller had come off its spindle and the spring had come out of the little groove. Put this back together but stll no joy.

Does anybody know where I might find a replacement Mechanism Deck please, I'll happily pay for one for her as she can't afford it!

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 08.42.54.png

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

I have a feeling that the only thing wrong woith this is the very loose capstan drive belt. At the underside of the capstan flywheel, that the belt goes around, there is a small gear which engages with the big gear which it has to rotate to move various levers to engage the pinch wheel, heads etc.

I'll get a new one and see what happens, worth spending £6!IMG_5450.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In the back of my mind, I think there are two different belt sizes depending on if the unit has auto-reverse or not!

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Belt Kit Sony TC-K511S/TC-K515S/ TC-K615S/TC-415 1x Flat Belt, 1x Square Belt - just hope this is the right one then!

From Ebay

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Just to let you know, the belts arrived, fitted and the whole thiung works just fine!! Very chuffed, never been inside one of these before.