Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 Home Network issue

profile.country.HU.title
Leidal

STR-DN1080 Home Network issue

Dear All,

I would like to ask for your help with regards to the STR-DN1080 multi channel av receiver. 

I am a user from Europe and I am having trouble with the Music Center app to stay connected with my home network. My amplifier is connected to the network with a network cable and is split to 2 zones. When I run the easy setup through my tv within the amplifier interface, the network gets connected easily and i can use the Music Center app to control the amplifier via network connection. However, when I turn off the amplifier and turn it back on it cannot anymore connect to the home network.. Strange thing is that within Spotify I have the option to start playing my music via Spotify connect and it turns the amplifier on, however it doesnt anymore connect to the Home Network through Music Center app and I cannot control sounds of the zones or anything else. When I try opening the app it tells me to connect via bluetooth.. When I do, it works of course but its bluetooth connection and not home network.

Many thanks in advance for your help in this!

Regards,

Thomas

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.HU.title
Leidal

Hi Guys!

Those of you who still struggle with this issue and (just like myself) still havent received any replies from Sony, i accidentally found a silly workaround to join the network. 

If you turn on the AMP via bluetooth and connect to it, disconnect your bluetooth connection via your phone, then connect again when the AMP is already on. Then open the Music Center app and wifi network connection will show. Same goes for turning on the AMP with the remote control and then connecting via bluetooth to it. Music Center shall then connect to the network. Very strange and stupid at the same time. There must be a development issue here which Sony doesnt seem to care enough to work out. Let me know if this works for others as well. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sepehrbeckham
Explorer

There is definitley an connectivity issue the 1080 AV Receiver, I got a new router from my network provider today and managed to connect all my devices in my household apart from my Sony Receiver as it was not showing any wifi during the search (tried WPS too)!

I had turned it OFF/ON but that didn't work so finally had to un-plug the receiver, then it worked and tsarted showing the available wifi in the area!!!

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
tonycraigharrison
Explorer

I wish I had read reviews before buying this amp, I am hard wired to my router which gives me speeds of around 300 mbps but it constantly loses connection meaning I can’t use the app. 

Cone on Sony, how many people need to complain before you do anything about it.

Really poor!

profile.country.GB.title
dudexk
New

I solved this problem at the end: upgraded to Denon and Heos is markedly
better... 😎
REBELinBLUE2021
Explorer

2 1/4 years later and this problem still exists? It connected via Wifi the first time but now it will not connect via wifi at all

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Do you mean you cannot connect via WiFi when you power off the receiver? For that you need Network Standby turned on. This feature is disabled from factory in EU model STR-DN1080's.

REBELinBLUE2021
Explorer

No, after turning the receiver on the app can not connect to it via wifi, only Bluetooth. It only connects via wifi once and then never works again 

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

It usually takes at least 1 minute after powering on before the receiver starts responding to apps. You might need to reset to factory settings, or at least re-setup your WiFi connection settings in the receiver. Sometimes these receivers get a bit messed up and require a factory reset - which isn't very convenient.

profile.country.HU.title
Leidal

Such a great choice. My friend also has a Denon and works perfectly. I still have the sony one but god damn its sooo bad.. Apart from the wifi connect issues, zone control issues, extremely unconvenient and ugly app interface now it even loses connection with the TV in the middle of a movie and I can only get sound back by restarting everything. Shameful

profile.country.HU.title
Leidal

Nothing works man. I should have sold this crap long time back.. so annoying. No one should buy it.