Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-7200 Blu-ray Screensaver Bug on Demand 5

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

BDP-7200 Blu-ray Screensaver Bug on Demand 5

Hi all,

Have any of you encountered this issue with the BDP-S7200 Blu-ray player from Sony?

This problem only seems to occur when watching content on Demand 5 Catch-up Services.

Screensaver will activate at random intervals with no set pattern however you can still hear the soundtrack to whatever you're watching. For instance this evening I watched a movie and after 31 minutes the screensaver appeared and then again 26 minutes later and once more at 17 minutes later. This has happened with all Demand 5 content that I've viewed so far. To dismiss the screensaver from view I press the down arrow.

In a private PM forum member Quinnicus has suggested that I could just disable the screensaver which is probably the best solution however having only bought this device last 2 weeks ago I am concerned this might indicate something more serious. I shall await any further feedback here for now.

For those of you who may be considering buying this device you should not be unduly concerned, it's a fine piece of kit which I can thoroughly recommend. It has also just been awarded Best Buy in the £200-£300 price range by the respected What Hi-Fi Magazine.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MK_Slinky 

Sorry, I forgot about this post.  I have requested some assistance from Sony in regards to this issue.  Hopefully this can be easily resolved with a proper solution.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus!

Richer Sounds have offered to swap the unit for another new one within 28 days but as yet I don't know if this is a fault with the unit or Demand 5. Either way I'm fast running out of time as I purchased the unit on the 02/10/14.

Thanks again :wink:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, ill bare that in mind.  :slight_smile:

If its a bug on the player (or even Demand5 itself), a swap probably wont make any difference.  However if you live closish to Richer Sounds, you could try getting them to demo it, and see if the screensaver comes up on thier player (then you will definately know its one or the other).

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Good idea but usually it does not appear for the first 30 minutes or so. Somehow I don't think they will be willing to wait that long, it's busy shop with only one demo room.

In hindsight I wish I hadn't applied the firmware update during the initial setup, at least if it didn't occur until after the update I would have known what had caused it.

The trouble is, during the initial setup procedure and before setup could complete the update screen appeared over the top of the other information thus preventing setup to complete. As there seemed no obvious way to cancel it I clicked OK. Easy setup was no longer an option and I had to make all the settings manually.

That seems to have been an oversight by Sony in my opinion, updating the firmware should have been delayed until next restart and after easy setup had completed, not during.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MK_Slinky 

Hey there

The feedback received today is that its possibly Demand 5 streaming data in an unusual or irregular way.  Unfortunately at this moment, a fix is unlikely.  It is suggested that you disable screensaver (which you are aware of anyhow).  I know its not ideal.... 😞

However the good news is that Sony has listened to your other comment about the FW updating whilst trying to perform the initial easy setup.  This has now been forwarded to the engineering dept (who im sure are still getting a whipping! )  :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Good work Quinnicus!

Thanks for your feedback. :slight_smile: I'm polishing my best Willow whipping stick as we speak! :devil:

I wonder if there is a way of performing the initial setup again? It's not mentioned in the manual and there is no option within the settings. Not that I'm particularly bothered by this but it's useful to know if asked elsewhere.

Ta muchly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.

You should be able to factory reset the player - which would enable the initial setup again.  However, i believe you are more referring to rolling-back the firmware - and unfortunately you cannot do that.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus,

No I was just referring to the initial setup feature, I wasn't sure if it was something that could be done again or whether it only happened the fist time the user turns on the device from new. My interest in doing so was purely to see what happens exactly.

Coincidentally I mentioned doing a factory reset to a member on the US forum recently because they had tinkered with so many settings on their own device that they could no longer see an image displayed on screen. For that particular individual the usual reset method could not be performed due to the lack of displayed menu options. Luckily for them tech support got it going again.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

According to this latest firmware release:

• Name: Blu-ray player firmware to version M21.R.0164
  • Date released: 25/12/2014
  • Benefits and improvements:
    • Resolves SSL security issue
    • BRAVIA Internet Video improvement

As I understand it the BRAVIA Internet Video improvement should have fixed the issue whereby the screensaver launchs at random intervals whilst playing conent on Demand5. This is not the case and this is has not been fixed!

I am currently watching a movie which is 1:28:44 minutes long.

The screensaver launched on screen at 28 minutes into the movie and again at 39 minutes, 58 minutes and 1:16 minutes. This pattern is pretty much how the issue occured prior to the latest firmware update and appears completely random. The sound continues to play throughout and is not affected by the screensaver running.

Does anyone else in this community have the same BDP-S7200 that they can test this issue for me?

Thanks