Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S1200 Subtitle problem with Netflix

Buutti
Explorer

BDP-S1200 Subtitle problem with Netflix

Hi,

I have been in contact with support about this issue and it seems like they are not going to do anything about it. Let me tell you all about this problem.

When watching Netflix, long subtitles are trying to go to the third row, but apparently the device only supports two rows of subtitles. Thus, a section of subtitles are not shown at all. How do I know the third row is trying to show? Well, I can see a line under the second row when this happens, and some words are missing.

I have been in contact with both the Netflix team and Sony support, Netflix has determined that it's not on their end and suggested that I contact the Sony support. Done that, no fix whatsoever.

And I can clearly see that the subtitle rows are just too narrow. There's plenty of room on both sides to show longer rows, but someone has been definitely in a hurry to write the software.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I don't know if this will help but might be worth a try. In the SETTINGS menu on your plu-ray player under 'SCREEN SETTINGS' there's one for adjusting your screen resolution. You can either have it set to AUTO or manually adjust it.

When I spoke to technical support about a similar issue with some of the wording on the apps being off-screen they suggested changing the resolution setting to AUTO. I didn't try it because it didn't bother me much, maybe it will help you?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Buutti
Explorer

Thanks for trying to help, but I've tried this and every other thing I can think of. Manual or auto, no difference. Customer services are trying to help, but when it's a clear bug, it's up to the developers to fix it, and it seems like that ain't happening.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

To be honest I think the problem lies with Netflix developers. I had all this out with Sony a few weeks ago with the various issues with my apps. Sony don't make the apps and therefore have no control over how they work. My last conversation with technical support they informed me that any issues with apps should be directed to the Sony PlayStation website.

It's not much help I know...

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Buutti
Explorer

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, because it's only that one app that has the problem. But because this device is not officially supported by Netflix, they won't bother to investigate.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

If that's the case there's a simple solution..., stop supporting Netflix yourself and take your custom to someone like Amazon Prime. I had a 30 day trial with each and found Amazon to be a little better with their support.

The issue I found with both of these streaming movie providers howere was that despite advertising many movies with 5.1 sound tracks they actually weren't and were only PCM. I prefer to hire movies from Amazon now instead and can watch as many as I like for £6.95 p/month. :wink: