Join now - be part of our community!

BDP S370 - Lovefilm Problems

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
NorthMonkey

BDP S370 - Lovefilm Problems

As of June 2013, Lovefilm isn't working on my S370.  I open the app, get the Lovefilm logo but then all I get is the spinning loading timer. 

I've tried clearing out the personal info, doing factory settings reset and it will load the main screen once after that.  But if I try and search or watch something, the timer just keeps spinning and nothing further happens. 

Lovefilm works fine on my PC and all other internet apps such as IPlayer and Youtube work fine.

I have noticed that the Lovefilm main screens have changed and they are now offering HD content too.  Maybe this has screwed up the S370 app?  Is there a plan to issue an update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NorthMonkey

Both,

I've now got it working again.  These are the steps I took, not all of them may be necessary.

On Virgin, I have a separate modem and router setup, not a Super Hub.

I went into the Lovefilm website on my computer and deactivated my S370 as a device.

I converted my Lovefilm account from a Lovefilm sign in to Amazon - which needs to be done soon anyway, they should have sent you a mail about it recently.

I did a factory reset on my wireless router which reset it's MAC address which forced a new IP address from the modem/Virgin.  Had to set up my wireless network again which was a bit of pain but there you go.  I read this was a solution on another device on the internet so thought it was worth a try. Before doing this,  if you are using the Netgear router from Virgin, log into it first using the 192.168.1.1 address, look through the settings for the MAC address.  If it is set to the default address, you can probably skip the factory reset.  Instead, change the MAC address shown to something else.  Wait for the router to restart then you'll need to turn your modem on and off (30 sec wait) and this will force a new IP address from Virgin.  i think the IP address is the key here.  If it doesn't work after following the steps below, try the factory reset.

I then managed to get into Lovefilm on my S370 but it was slow.  I then signed out of Lovefilm on the S370. 

Finally I did a full factory reset on the S370 and initialised personal information on the S370, turned it off and unplugged it for 30 seconds.  This should clear out the internet content listings on the video column.

Plugged back into, reloaded all internet content, went into the Lovefilm app, signed back using Amazon credentials and it's all fine now. 

Bit convoluted but has done the trick!  Good luck!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Catmambo
Contributor

Odd - is the firmware up to date? Have you checked the device is still registered on the Lovefilm page?

NorthMonkey

Hello,

Yes the firmware is fully up to date and my device is still registered.  I've checked the device is allowed on the Sony Entertainment network setup also.  At the moment it just times out while trying to connect to LoveFilm when I go into the application.

I'm on Virgin Media if that helps.

I am having the same issue with Lovefilm on my S370 since they updated it. I have contacted Lovefilm support and they have suggested various things which haven't worked and as yet they have not been able to sort the problem. As mentioned YouTube works as does iplayer. I too have Virgin broadband but I don't think it's that as Lovefilm works on my Wii and on my laptop. Is this an issue with the S370 or with the Lovefilm application itself.

NorthMonkey

Both,

I've now got it working again.  These are the steps I took, not all of them may be necessary.

On Virgin, I have a separate modem and router setup, not a Super Hub.

I went into the Lovefilm website on my computer and deactivated my S370 as a device.

I converted my Lovefilm account from a Lovefilm sign in to Amazon - which needs to be done soon anyway, they should have sent you a mail about it recently.

I did a factory reset on my wireless router which reset it's MAC address which forced a new IP address from the modem/Virgin.  Had to set up my wireless network again which was a bit of pain but there you go.  I read this was a solution on another device on the internet so thought it was worth a try. Before doing this,  if you are using the Netgear router from Virgin, log into it first using the 192.168.1.1 address, look through the settings for the MAC address.  If it is set to the default address, you can probably skip the factory reset.  Instead, change the MAC address shown to something else.  Wait for the router to restart then you'll need to turn your modem on and off (30 sec wait) and this will force a new IP address from Virgin.  i think the IP address is the key here.  If it doesn't work after following the steps below, try the factory reset.

I then managed to get into Lovefilm on my S370 but it was slow.  I then signed out of Lovefilm on the S370. 

Finally I did a full factory reset on the S370 and initialised personal information on the S370, turned it off and unplugged it for 30 seconds.  This should clear out the internet content listings on the video column.

Plugged back into, reloaded all internet content, went into the Lovefilm app, signed back using Amazon credentials and it's all fine now. 

Bit convoluted but has done the trick!  Good luck!

Catmambo
Contributor

Nice job - thanks for taking the time to post the solution. Seems like basically totally resetting the device and forcing it to handshake again with the new amazon service made the difference.

:slight_smile:

NorthMonkey

It does seem to be that yes.  Obviously not necessary for WII and computer for some reason.  Maybe how the app is set up.

No problem for posting - happy to help, I hope it helps scouseyozzer too.

Hi and thanks.

Went through all the steps you suggested and my lovefilm is now working. brilliant.

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
timodell

I too have an unusable Lovefilm service after the new software upgrade - it still seems to recognise my account, but buffering is instant with only a second or 2 of play between stops. Broadband speed 7mb and no problems on other aps like iplayer. What's the solution Catmambo?

Catmambo
Contributor

Stange - I've just tried it on my TV and its working ok. It was working ok before? How are you connecting to the web? Latest firmware ?

Could try a factory rest and following the solution above as this would take it back to scratch although it seems to be a network issue rather than an authentication issue, so maybe unplug your router from the wall for 30 seconds to force it to reconnect to your ISP again also..

Thanks