Join now - be part of our community!

bdp-s760 blu disc play problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
leekjp
Visitor

bdp-s760 blu disc play problems

I have a bdp-s760. Have always kept it up to date firmware wise and never had any problems.

Until Now.....

I have recently brought "Lawrence Of Arabia" and "Steel Panther British Invasion" on Blu and they both will not load. It states "Invalid" on the front panel and "unknown" on screen for the name of the disc.

All other 50 odd Blus Run perfectly. However if I try them after the above has happened it can cause upset with working discs..

I have seen references to this problem elsewhere with mentions of lasers going wrong etc but I exclude that as "older discs" all seem to run ok...Is this just a case of new firmware for BD compatibility? I'm assuming its some sort of java authoring that the current firmware cannot cope with ...

I have lodged an email with Sony but nothing seems to be happening. This Machine last had firmware 21 months ago!! Now do I hold on to these discs that do not work in the hope of a fix or risk wasted money?

Ironic thing is "Lawrence" is a Sony films disc ..doesn't work on a Sony player ... hmmmmmmm

Anybody heard of any incoming firmware?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Bravia55HX

Hi,

firstly suggest you try a factory re set to clear any glitches in the system, that will be what Sony will tell you anyway!, secondly thats a rather long time without a further update so it would be a good idea to check again, i cannot think of anything else unless Sony have an answer as i would imagine they will find it embarrassing that one of their machines cant play one of their discs !

leekjp
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you.

Yes, I have tried the factory reset to no avail.

I have also turned off internet , removed all traces of all discs in the disc cache and various other things that I have seen mentioned but to no avail. I am convinced its simply a new firmware that is needed to cope with some sort of new authoring.

Have checked it and no other update has come since, if they are "saving up" the fixes for next release I can understand but all I have had so far is it is under investigation (for Lawrence since the day it came out).

The steel panther disc only came out on monday. I brought it with 4 other brand new out discs (not new for me but new to buy) and they all work fine so it really seems to point to a new firmware being needed rather than a technical problem with my machine..also, am going to see them in 2 weeks live and wanted to watch this beforehand which makes this even more of a bitter blow..

and yes, lawrence was sent back and swapped out for a new disc with amazon and still does not work so really seems to point in the firmware direction.....

Lawrence has already gone past the point of return to amazon...how much money do you "wait on" before firmware is fixed that the question..there should really be some sort of "standard" in disc creation so as this point is not reached otherwise its the customer that loses out..

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

i could not resist looking at this again, and it seems you have covered all the bases on this- except one!,

have you tried this disc in another blu ray player, not everyone has a second player i know but maybe a friends player, this is just to eliminate the disc.

other than that its just a question of Sony support, good luck with that!

leekjp
Visitor

Couldn't resist eh? :laughing:

As I only received "steel" yesterday, I haven't had the opportunity yet but for "Lawrence" as I said above, I returned it to amazon and got another copy - can't believe that both copies would  not work especially on such a high profile title! Nothing at all about the web of any issues..

Sony have taken the details of this second disc but will only say that they are "escalating it" - real frustrating thing is as the last update was 21 months ago - it'd be nice if they would at least give me a rough idea of how long we are talking until the next one but they seem to prefer to keep quiet..

Message was edited by: leekjp

Thanks for looking in..

Bravia55HX

yeah, but my point was if Lawrence played on another random player ok then its a firmware issue, BUT if it does not its possible that that disc is faulty as well !, you have only got to look at a recent release called "The Cabin in The Woods" to see what i mean!

leekjp
Visitor

Just got a chance to try them on somebodys Sony RMT-B107P ..had never had any firmware updates since getting it a couple of years ago , so I didn't hold out much hope..

BUT they both worked with no problems at all! Therefore it is DEFINATELY my firmware..

So much for me keeping mine updated and they work on his with no updates!

Have passed this info to sony who will hopefully be able to match the two firmwares in order to expedite this...

Bravia55HX

there you go, thats half the battle won!, it beggars belief that keeping firmwares updated causes these issues, well we can do no more here but expect Sony to correct this, do keep us informed here once a solution has been reached and how to go about it for future reference.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
stfaled
Visitor

Hi

I have a Sony BDP-S360 and I'm having an issue with the recently released Steel Panther British Invasion blu-ray as well.

The disc won't load. It gets stuck at 0:00:00 with my player unable to do anything. I can't even turn it off or eject the disc. The only thing I can do is unplug the power wire then plug it back and eject disc before it starts trying to play.

I tried the disc on another blu-ray player (included in my ISP set-top-box). It plays BUT at some point (around 00:37:00) the picture goes like fast-forward then freezes...

It seems to me this blu-ray edition has some serious issues...

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

So it may well be that there is something about the way that these two discs have been authored which means some older players have issues with them. I've flagged this thread to be checked by engineering, so they can study and see if a software fix maybe possible.

Thanks