Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N590 Alternative

Jpcutler85
Explorer

BDV-N590 Alternative

Hi guys,

I have the BDV-N590 home cinema system and I currently use the bluray player in the bedroom on its own as I can watch net flix etc. In my living room however I want to set up the surround sound that came with the BDV-N590. I have a smart TV and a PS4 so I don't want another Internet enabled DVD player hence why the BDV-N590 is in the bedroom.

Is there an alternative Sony product I can purchase that allows me to connect the surround sound up to the TV/PS4. I guess in looking for the bare minimum to get it working. No need for Internet or DVD player.

I noticed it has particular connectors meant for the main unit. Plus I wasn't sure what part the main unit plays in the setup of the surround sound.

Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You cant just connect the speakers up to the TV or something similar.  You need some type of base unit which acts as an amplifier/power unit as well as software to support different types of audio (ie DTS, DD, etc).

As an opinion, I would pull back that base unit from the N590 and put it back in the lounge room, and then purchase a Smart Bluray Player such as the BDP-S1200.  Approx £60

Alternatively, I understand that Netflix is available on a device called Chromecast - Approx £30

Cheers

Jpcutler85
Explorer

Thanks for your help, it makes sense. I was hoping to not have to purchase an additional device that does the same job as an existing. 

The N590 was given to me so it wasn’t a choice purchase on my part otherwise I would have gone for a more suitable set up.