Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N590 low sound quality, sparks while plugging in power

SOLVED
profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

BDV-N590 low sound quality, sparks while plugging in power

Hi,

I've just bought BDV-N590 and I noticed when I was plugging in power cord in outlet that there was a brief spark.

Then, I noticed that home cinema (the device itself) has been creating high frequency sound while on. It is not the fan, but something in device.

And at the end, I was disappointed in sound. The sound is clear, but it sound "metallic" and "empty". It is noticeable while watching a TV (connected with ARC), less while playing a movie with 5.1 sound, but more while playing music - especially from CD.

My questions:
1. Should device make hissing (high frequency sound while on)?

2. Is sound quality good, especially while playing a music from CD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Since this topic is searchable by Google, it is only fair to give conclusion.

So, I contacted store but they referred me to Sony service. I brought device to Sony service but they couldn’t reproduce sparks. Nevertheless, they replaced power supply. The home cinema does not produce high frequency sound and the spark between power cord and outlet doesn’t appear anymore.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Sounds strange - have you checked out another demmo model in a store to see how that one sounds. Hard to say without hearing it personally, but might be worth brnchmarking it against another one. If it is faulty, you should be able to get it swapped out by the retailer if its within 14-30 days depending on the store..

thanks

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Thank you for reply.

Unfortunately, the store doesn’t keep that particular product in display or even in store. They had to ordered it so I could buy one.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hmm, its an end of life model so you might find it tricky to find another actually. Might be best to raise it with the store and see what they say as it shouldn't be emitting a high pitched noise..

thanks

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Meanwhile, I’ve messaged one of local review sites. They confirmed that the device itself (although they tested BDV-N790W) makes high frequency sound while playing disc.

Also, I’ve connected device to my PC and I played a bit with equalizer on Winamp and Windows Media Player because my nVidia GeForce card does not offer equalizer on HDMI connection.

I’ve noticed that “poor sound quality” I’m experiencing is because of high frequencies. 12k, 14k and 16k are bursting through on Winamp when set to high values, also for Media Player on 8k and 16k.

I’ll contact store on Monday, thank you again for advice.

profile.country.HR.title
the_shredder

Since this topic is searchable by Google, it is only fair to give conclusion.

So, I contacted store but they referred me to Sony service. I brought device to Sony service but they couldn’t reproduce sparks. Nevertheless, they replaced power supply. The home cinema does not produce high frequency sound and the spark between power cord and outlet doesn’t appear anymore.

Thank you!