Join now - be part of our community!

Blu-ray playback on BDV-E300 - disc unknown

Blu-ray playback on BDV-E300 - disc unknown

For quite a while now, I have been unable to play discs on my BDV-E300. Every time I put the disc in an error is returned saying that the disc is unknown and that playback is not possible.

Each of these discs I have been able to use in the past and if I am really persistent, may still play after ejecting and reloading the disc 10's of times, but more often than not will not play.

I have made sure that the player is up to date but this has not made any difference.

Really hoping there is a fix for this, at the moment the system is not usable as a Blu-ray player!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Do DVD's also fail to play as well as blurays?

My thinking is that it could be a hardware issue - specifically the laser.

Cheers

The player seems to work ok with DVDs, it's blurays that appear to be the issue .

if a hardware issue such as laser as you suggest, what are the options?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think there is only one real option to be honest, and that is replacing the system with a new one.  As it just might be uneconomical to repair.  Wasnt this system from 2009?

The laser kits are generally cheap assuming a repair centre can get hold of the parts - but its labour and fault-finding that adds to the cost. Im only guessing the laser by the way.  A repair centre can be found : HERE

Alternatively and most likely solution, new all-in-one systems can be found : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Graham, everyone,

I read your post with some interest as I have also experienced these issues in the past albeit with un-readable DVD's. The solution for me turned out to be a simple fix which I wrote about in this post:

DVDs Rejected as Dirty

If as Quninnicus says your device was manufactured around 2009 it's likely any warranty/extended warranty you may have will have expired by now. Therefore it might prove beneficial to follow the advice given in the above post. Obviously you do this at your own risk but it's a simple procedure and no technical ability is required. Just make sure the device is un-plugged beforehand.

Experience has taught me that un-readable discs / disc errors can be caused by a variety of reasons, more often than not it's either a dirty smudge on the disc, scratches or even fluff inside the disc tray. Often times it's caused by grease build-up on the centre spindle inside the disc tray which cause the disc to slip when reading. The only other cause I can think of is if you've had one two many the night before and put the disc in upside down but I'm sure nobody has ever done that?! LOL... :flushed:

Have a read of the post in the link above, hopefully it will help resolve your issue.

Slinky

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14