Join now - be part of our community!

DN1040 AV Receiver not connecting to Internet

SOLVED
Penmanj
Explorer

DN1040 AV Receiver not connecting to Internet

The above Amp will not connect to the Internet for either Firmware updates or SEN, even though it connects fine across my local network to the NAS.  My router is a BT Homehub V3.0 and all my other devices, including 4 pc's connect fine to the Internet.  If I change the router to an old router I have, the Sony Amp connects fine.  I wrote to Sony support to ask them what protocol and port number the Sony Amp uses to connect to the Internet so that I can go onto BT and ask them why they are blocking this protocol but they don't understand what I am asking and are now ignoring me.

I am hoping someone here can provide me with the following information

1)   What is the IP address or URL name that the Sony Amp needs to connect to to obtain the firmware update.

2)   What is the Destination Port number of the server that the Amp needs to connect to?

3)   Is it a TCP or UDP or perhaps an ICMP Packet it uses to connect

Any other information that you think may help would be very much appreciated.

Jim 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Penmanj

Just like Neilsen, I also get curious on certain problems too. 

I guess, from all the testing you have done, it appears that its not the AV Reciever as you have identified that it could be a cause of a FW update to the BT router (unless further evidence suggests differently) - Bug?.

Fingers crossed that BT send out a router with the firmware version that works - as that would be the simplest solution.

Thank you for the update and hope it all works out - please let us know :slight_smile:

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Panmanj, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I cannot answer your specific questions but if you can connect using your old router can you download the firmware updates also? Perhaps once these have installed it will resolve your problem when you re-connect your BT Homehub?

If BT are now ignoring you perhaps you should also try telling them you will cancel your contract as they are failing to provide you with the support you are entitled to? Perhaps this is even a breach of contract?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there Penmanj

It is highly unlikely you will get an answer to those 3 questions - I don't have the answer either.

Lets try this in stages:

1. Are you using a wireless and wired connection - If Wifi, please connect an ethernet cable, and test.
  2. Are you sure you are using the correct network settings?  Try setting them manually
  3. Try an alternative DNS server (ie googles 8.8.8.8 or OpenNic's 213.138.101.252)
  4. Failing that, Set a manual IP address for the DN1040 and set that IP address in the DMZ on the Homehub.

Give that a go and see.

Cheers

Penmanj
Explorer

Many thanks to both of you for your prompt reply.  The support I was referring to was Sony Support, not BT, I have not gone onto BT yet as I think the questions they are going to ask are the three I have put down.  Anyway, to reply to Quinnicus re his logical steps, I can confirm the following.

1)  I am using a wired Ethernet Connection, Router is behind the television.  However, I have tried wireless as it was easy to set up but this made no difference.

2)  I have tried setting the IP address, Subnet mask and DNS manually but to no avail.  The Amp does receive all the correct information and does connect locally to my NAS but not to the Internet.

3)  Had not tried this.  I set up the Amp to 4 different DNS servers, even the one my router is using on the Internet but again, refused to connect.

4)  I liked this idea, had not thought of this. 

5)  I also switched off the Firewall on the router ( a bit dangerous but only did it for a minute) thinking it must be the firewall that was blocking it but again, it did not work.  I also changed the whole IP address allocation of the router to a Class C address thinking it did not like the 192.168.x.x standard one but that made no difference either.  I also changed the Amp out for my friends DN1040 Amp, he bought his a couple of months before me and his did not work either!!

I am at a loss as, if I go to BT, they are going to ask the basic question, what are you trying to connect to and with what protocol.  I would have thought that Sony Support would know this but it appears I know more about IP networking than they do. I am very disappointed in Sony support.  If they had just told me that they did not know or were not permitted to provide this information then I would understand but to just stop answering my emails is damn right rude!!!   I will post the email interchange on the forum if people want a laugh but, if I knew who to send the email chain to in Sony to show them the service they are receiving from their support people, I would.

My only other option is to load some type of LAN analyser onto my laptop to see if I can capture what is going on but thought I would try this forum first as I am impressed with some of the answers I have seen.

Any other suggestions would be most grateful and thank you very much for everyones time.

Jim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is one of the problems that I absolutely hate.  Reason : You are between a rock and a hard place of where both parties (ie Sony and BT) can deny responsibility and blame each other.

I can hopefully assist you on the Sony side of things - However I would also suggest contacting BT at the same time.  But I guess I need some more information before I can really escalate this issue.  Remember though, most of Sony Support is 1st line support, and you generally have to go through this before it can be passed higher up - which you have done, and that is why you have been given answers that probably does not match your situation.

Can I assume that you tried adding the DN1040 to the BT routers DMZ and it failed also? 

At this moment, I have not seen anyone else have issues on internet connectivity with the DN1040

So what we need here is a simplistic but detailed run-down of the issue (bullet points).  Firstly, can you please confirm the model number and firmware versions of BOTH routers that you have tried - the one that fails and the one that works?  Also have you installed the latest FW for the DN1040 using the router that works (please confirm which version you are on)

Cheers

Penmanj
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Many thanks for the response.  To answer your specific questions:-

Adding the DN1040 to the DMZ LAN did not help.  Your idea of doing this gave me the idea of switching the Firewall off but that did not help either.

The BT router is the one that fails and is a BT Home Hub 3.0 and the firmware was updated on 11/3/14 and is currently Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A)

The router that works is a D-Link 2780 and the firmware version is v2.02t, not sure when it was last updated.

When I had the D-Link router connected, I updated the DN1040 Amp to the latest version which is s9327.1090.0

Although both routers are completely different, I did configure them to the same setting as far as possible.  

The BT Router is the problem as the Sony Amp will connect to both my Network Attached Storage (NAS) and a PC running media player on my local network and stream music from them both.  One of my friends is bringing his one over tomorrow which is the same to see if the problem is specific to my router or to BT's Homehubs generally.  I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.  If it is just specific to my Router then BT will have to change it but if it is specific to BT Homehubs, then we have a bigger problem but I would have thought other people would have written in before now.

Thanks again for the help Quinnicus.

Jim

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

My guess is ip conflict. You have many LAN devices and you haven't said that you are not using the dhcp on all these, and the dhcp server in the routers can act differently. Local access can also work sometimes when an ip conflict occurs. 

After visitors have accessed my wifi network with laptops and smartphones, my Bravia TV sometimes gets a conflicting ip address assigned.

Penmanj
Explorer

Hi Nielsen,

Thank you for your reply.  I would have thought that if there was an IP address conflict, it would have affected the local access as well to my NAS.  However, desperate times and all that, I have just switched off DHCP and given my Sony an IP address, switched off every other device except my laptop as I wanted to monitor what was happening but to no avail.  Good suggestion though.

Thanks again

Jim.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

And you did reset your BT hub to default and rebooted with a couple of minutes off before trying?

I think the 1040 amp has an web server- have you tried to connect from your laptop or ping it to see decent ping delay. Yes I know you did stream music, but..

What is the exact error message on the 1040?

Have you tried another physical LAN port on your hub?

I'm just shooting away, but your problem intrigues me.:smileyconfused:

Penmanj
Explorer

Hi Nielsen and Quinnicus,

To answer Nielsen questions first, here goes

Yes, I have defaulted the router back with a Factory reset which is when it was delivered to me.  When I have been swapping an old router with the BT Homehub, it has been switched off for some period of time, even overnight.  I can connect to the DN1040 with my browser and look at all the screens and a Ping gives me a response of between 2ms and 4ms.  I have tried different ports on the router, even bypassing my Ethernet Switching Hub so that the Amp is directly connected to the Router but nothing.  I also configured the DN1040 Amp to use Wireless instead of Ethernet and even though it connects fine, it still wont talk to the Internet.  I was thinking of loading a Data Analyser on my laptop but I would have to spoof the Routers MAC address to get the Amp to connect via my Laptop, unless someone has another suggestion.

So, as per my previous email, my friend brought his HomeHub router over and we plugged it in and voila, the DN1040 can see the Internet.  So, it must be something particular to my Router that it does not like the Sony Amp.    My friends router Firmware is Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.82.1.1 (Type A) where mine is 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A) which is a later version.  

I have gone onto BT who, after going through all the normal script tests say, they will send out another Router and for me to post the old one back.  I am perplexed as to what could be causing this incompatibility bearing in mind that the Router not only passes all mydevices but that of my 2 daughters iPhones and also all my other friends phones or laptops.  I have tried everything and the only thing I can think of is there is some incompatibility with the MAC Address that Sony use.  I have checked the MAC address on the Amp and it is fully registered to Sony in Tokyo.  (d8:d4:3c:62:56:ac)

Anyway, I am happy to try out any further suggestions people may have in a hope that it may help someone else in the future but for me, I am going to connect my new router up and hopefully all will work ok.

I would like to thank the people who took the time to help me and replied to my post, many thanks.  If you want me to do more testing, let me know as I am happy to do this just to find out what is going on and perhaps help someone in the future.

Jim