Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Atmos through KDL-40NX713

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Dolby Atmos through KDL-40NX713

Having trouble connecting Apple TV 4K and Bose Soundbar 900 through my Sony KDL-40NX713. I can get Dolby 5.1 to play but not Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus). Are there any setting on the TV I need to be aware of to allow the soundbar to receive to Atmos signal? Apple TV is sending out Dolby Atmos but the Bose Audio App is only receiving Dolby 5.1.

Tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Unfortunately there's no way you will get Atmos with that configuration.

Surprised such an expensive soundbar only has one HDMI input/ output.

Can you get your money back for the soundbar and seek out one that will

allow you to connect the Apple TV to it and then connect to the TV so you can

get Atmos.

Or as Apple TV is a 4k device and you are connecting it to an HD (1080) TV

that can't handle Atmos, you could buy a new 4K UHD TV that can handle Atmos,

not all 4K TVs handle Atmos so you need to check the specifications closely.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

You should only need two HDMI connections.

HDMI out from Apple TV to HDMI input on soundbar.

HDMI (eArc) out from soundbar to HDMI (Arc) input on current TV.

The eArc to Arc connection works both ways it will send pictures to your TV

and when you are not using the Apple TV it will send the TVs sound to the soundbar.

Synching should be okay but get a soundbar that allows you to adjust lip-synch.

As you are thinking of buying a new 4K UHD TV with Dolby Atmos I am surprised you decided to send the Bose back.

You could have put up with 5.1 sound for a few months until you bought a TV with HDMI eArc and Dolby Atmos

and plugged the Apple TV into the new TV and the TV into the Bose.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Its a very old TV and therefore isn't compatible with Dolby Atmos, see the Audio specifications in this link,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-40nx713/specifications

The TV may be receiving Dolby Atmos from Apple TV but as it cannot process it it will knock down to 5.1.

Its a long shot but does this TV have a passthrough mode in the sound settings, probably not.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Are you connecting the Apple TV to your TV and then to the soundbar.

Try connecting Apple TV to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV, does the Bose soundbar allow this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102310

profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. Cant see passthrough options in any of the manuals or onscreen menus..

profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Yeh got the Apple TV connect to the Sony TV via HDMI 2.1 Cable and then out of the HDMI ARC Port on the TV into the HDMI e/ARC Port on the Bose Soundbar. Unfortunately the Soundbar only has one HDMI port and one optical.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Unfortunately there's no way you will get Atmos with that configuration.

Surprised such an expensive soundbar only has one HDMI input/ output.

Can you get your money back for the soundbar and seek out one that will

allow you to connect the Apple TV to it and then connect to the TV so you can

get Atmos.

Or as Apple TV is a 4k device and you are connecting it to an HD (1080) TV

that can't handle Atmos, you could buy a new 4K UHD TV that can handle Atmos,

not all 4K TVs handle Atmos so you need to check the specifications closely.

profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Thanks the response I was expecting but not wanting.

Thanks for confirming.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@welfordyc 

Your TV came out a year before Dolby Atmos was first in a cinema, and five years before any TV supported it.

Your TV only has ARC - and that was thought so unimportant at the time that the spec referenced above doesn’t even mention it. But uncompressed Dolby Atmos can’t be passed over ARC - it needs eARC.

So, with over a thousand pounds’worth of investment in the Apple TV and the Bose soundbar, the TV sandwiched between them is a 12-year-old 40” HD set, with all the limitations described above.

Yes, you could have done better with the money spent on the soundbar, but it would do well enough as part of a final solution when you replace your old TV with a modern UHD one that can handle Dolby. But you’d have to wait for that.

So, unless you bought it more than 90 days ago, I would invoke Bose’s 90-day Risk-free trial guarantee, get a refund as it isn’t going to work fully in your setup (blame us if you like), and look for a comparable Atmos sound bar, but with a true HDMI In as well as the eARC HDMI, so you can plug the Apple TV directly into the soundbar, and get the Atmos audio, with the video going up through the ARC HDMI in, to be seen on the TV. Maybe Bose have one such, and will swap yours for it 😛

And this connection will work in the other direction when you are watching broadcast TV, to pass the audio to the soundbar. Limited to Dolby 5.1 at best, but broadcast audio is anyway. And all the good streaming stuff will be coming from the Apple TV, where the sky is the limit for audio out.

Something to really enjoy right now, while you save up for a 2023 or 2024 UHD TV 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Nice detailed response thanks. The Bose kit is already boxed up awaiting UPS collection. 🤣 Unfortunately they don’t offer a bar with multiple hdmi ports so I’ll get saving my pennies for a TV upgrade next year 😉

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@welfordyc 

Can you run to the Sony HT-A7000? It’s a couple of hundred more than the Bose, but has everything you need, which none of the cheaper soundbars in this article do:-

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/home-cinema/best-soundbars#section-best-entry-level-dolby-atmos-s...

Or for £100 less than the Bose, perhaps the Yamaha SR-X50A?

I had the YSP2500, and was going to recommend the YSP2700, but it seems to have been superseded, and bettered, by the above.

Worth a listen, at least.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…