Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Atmos through KDL-40NX713

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Dolby Atmos through KDL-40NX713

Having trouble connecting Apple TV 4K and Bose Soundbar 900 through my Sony KDL-40NX713. I can get Dolby 5.1 to play but not Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus). Are there any setting on the TV I need to be aware of to allow the soundbar to receive to Atmos signal? Apple TV is sending out Dolby Atmos but the Bose Audio App is only receiving Dolby 5.1.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@welfordyc 

Can you run to the Sony HT-A7000? It’s a couple of hundred more than the Bose, but has everything you need, which none of the cheaper soundbars in this article do:-

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/home-cinema/best-soundbars

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
welfordyc
Explorer

Yeh, something like that might do the job but the width of the HT-A7000 might be a problem at the mo. We live in an old cottage and have nowhere to wall mount a TV. The size of the KDL-40 is the perfect proportion for the room. Just so I’ve got it clear, if I come out of Apple TV into a Dolby Atmos enabled soundbar eARC then out of the soundbar into an HDMI port on the TV (std HDMI or ARC?) then back to the soundbar again with another HDMI (std HDMI or ARC?), sound and video would all sync up ok??

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

You should only need two HDMI connections.

HDMI out from Apple TV to HDMI input on soundbar.

HDMI (eArc) out from soundbar to HDMI (Arc) input on current TV.

The eArc to Arc connection works both ways it will send pictures to your TV

and when you are not using the Apple TV it will send the TVs sound to the soundbar.

Synching should be okay but get a soundbar that allows you to adjust lip-synch.

As you are thinking of buying a new 4K UHD TV with Dolby Atmos I am surprised you decided to send the Bose back.

You could have put up with 5.1 sound for a few months until you bought a TV with HDMI eArc and Dolby Atmos

and plugged the Apple TV into the new TV and the TV into the Bose.