Join now - be part of our community!

DVP-SR760H DVD player...

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mikeg8072
Visitor

DVP-SR760H DVD player...

Hi everyone.   I've got a problem with my sony SR760H dvd player. It plays normal discs OK in DVD format, I have not ried other formats on a disc as the DVD format seems to work well.  But if I use the USB port to play some camcorder films I have made.... all in the formats it says it should play such as "avi" , "mp4", "mpg", etc etc.... it just comes back and says the current video format is not supported.   I've tried reconverting them into smaller formats, different sizes and different screen shapes etc but to no avail. Can anyone help me as I am running our of ideas.     Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BorderReiver
Explorer

Just in case it may be of interest to anyone else that may suffer from the same problem, I tried using the Free Video Converter from Koyote Soft (as I already used their MP3 converter) to create video files that the DVD player might accept.   I tried various formats and, surprisingly, nearly all of them worked.  I settled for mp4 format, ensuring that the output size fitted in with the constraints imposed by the player.  The result is a video that is much less 'blocky' than with Handbrake.  I have since reconverted all my other videos.

HTH

BR

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BorderReiver
Explorer

I've just bought one of these DVD players with the explicit intention of being able to use it to play back the movies taken with our digital camera.  I, too, am suffering the problem of not being able to get it to work, with the message "the current video format is not supported by this player".  Has anybody managed to solve this problem yet?  Does anyone from Sony read these forums that can assist?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Looking at page 10 of the manual : HERE this DVD player supports the following video formats/codecs:

• Containers (formats) = AVI, MPG, MPEG and MP4
  • Video Codecs = MPEG-1 (Cybershot data), MPEG-4 and XVID

A good little reference for what codecs and containers are is HERE

If your video files fall outside of what is supported, they simply will not play.

You can use a program to convert these unplayable videos into a format that will be playable, using a program called Handbrake : HERE.  Unfortunately it is not the easiest to use, especially if you are unfamiliar with this sort of thing.  Therefore it is a steep learning curve.

Hope that helps

BorderReiver
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus and thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes, I originally looked in the manual and converted my video to mp4 format with Windows Movie Maker (2012), ensuring the maximum size was within the stated limits.  I had hoped that the mp4 format output by WMM was compatible with the MP4 format that the Sony DVP player said it could accept.  Perhaps I was being naive?  There is no extra support to go on in the Sony site to state why they are not compatible.

I may try Handbrake in the future - but am not convinced, at the moment, that an mp4 format output by that would be any different to one output by WMM.

BR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok. 

A couple of hints in handbrake:

• On main application screen, ensure container = MP4
  • In Video tab, ensure codec = MPEG-4
  • In Audio tab, ensure codec = MP3

BorderReiver
Explorer

It works!

The mp4 output from Handbrake is different to that from WMM.

A couple of false starts (as I had not seen your reply) but, through trial and error, I eventually found some settings that worked.  The quality is not brilliant and it adds an extra step in the process but at least I can now see the digital camera movies on the TV.

Thanks.

BR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent, I am glad

I am assuming that that WMM is using the H.264 codec, which is not compatible with the player.

Have fun :slight_smile:

BorderReiver
Explorer

Quinnicus, I'm hoping that you are still monitoring these threads.  I have just put together another batch of my camera's video clips for the family to watch on the DVD player and used Handbrake to convert them to MP4.  However, the quality is very disappointing given that my camera claims to record video clips in HD.  The video is very 'blocky'.  I've looked at handbrake to see if there is any obvious setting to improve the quality but could not find one.  Do you know if there is a way of improving the quality?  Or is there another conversion tool which is compatible with this Sony DVD player?

Thanks

BR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BorderReiver wrote:

Quinnicus, I'm hoping that you are still monitoring these threads.

Oh yes, I monitor everything.  "Just call my naaaaame and I'll Be There" :grin:

@BorderReiver wrote:

I have just put together another batch of my camera's video clips for the family to watch on the DVD player and used Handbrake to convert them to MP4.  However, the quality is very disappointing given that my camera claims to record video clips in HD.  The video is very 'blocky'.  I've looked at handbrake to see if there is any obvious setting to improve the quality but could not find one.  Do you know if there is a way of improving the quality?  Or is there another conversion tool which is compatible with this Sony DVD player?

Thanks

BR

Try using the "High Profile" in Handbrake, should give better results (will take longer though!) - just test on 1 first though, just in case.

In regards to other converters, there are many on the market and I've tried many of them myself.  Some are free, otheres you have to pay for - but they all seem to have "crapware" littered throughout.  Thats why handbrake is my favourite.

Googling "WMM to MP4" brings many hints and tips as well as converters.

Try the high profile first though - you never know.

Cheers :four_leaf_clover:

BorderReiver
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for the response. 

I tried the High Profile setting.  I tried just about every combination that I could think of, but no luck.

High Profile seems to default to default to a width of 1280 but the DVD player has a maximum of 720.

Changing the max width to 720 just produces the same blocky output as before.  I did notice that the sizes of any MP4 files produced were always much smaller than the source - which I assume is related to the quality?  Or maybe the poor quality is as a result of the small width (720) comapred to the size of the TV? 

I googled 'WMM to MP4' as you suggested - but came to no conclusion.  Reading some of the reviews of the converters available made me loathe to download anything else as there were many comments about malware.

I'm not sure what I'll do now ...

Thanks again.

BR