Join now - be part of our community!

Future firmware updates for 2010 Blu-ray models.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nab001
Visitor

Future firmware updates for 2010 Blu-ray models.

Just wondering if there will be a firmware update for the BDP S370.

Possible improvements are :

• be able to delete/ remove video channels or certain podcasts/videocasts
  • ability to use own RSS feeds for podcasts /videocasts
  • A web browser. Its just been announced the next model BDP S380 will have the Opera Web Browser. Any chance this will be available on the BDP S370.
  • ability to set HD quality setting for Youtube.

Message was edited by: Catmambo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Nab01

Good questions :slight_smile:

• Possibly as thats not necessarily a firmware issue, just a server side modification.
  • Unlikely I'm afraid.
  • 370 already has web browser ( iPlayer uses it) but its not user accessible as there is no way of controlling it with the supplied remote.
  • Potentially - this would be down to Youtube to enable on their service though as its controlled by them

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Nab01

Good questions :slight_smile:

• Possibly as thats not necessarily a firmware issue, just a server side modification.
  • Unlikely I'm afraid.
  • 370 already has web browser ( iPlayer uses it) but its not user accessible as there is no way of controlling it with the supplied remote.
  • Potentially - this would be down to Youtube to enable on their service though as its controlled by them

Thanks

nab001
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just wanted to ask you a few more questions:

• Regarding the possibility of removing certain video channels or Podcasts/videocasts you stated a firmware update wasn't needed but could be achieved by a server side modification. Could this be implemented in the near future?
  • I was asking about using my own RSS feeds for Podcasts/videocasts because the Sony Internet TV webpage states ' Podcasts - Download your favourite audio and video podcasts from around the world and discover new ones. ' I currently have a Sony TV which has applicast which allows me to use my own RSS text feeds. I thought it may be useful to allow users of the 2010 blu ray models to choose their own podcasts.
  • I seem to be missing some video channels; Fifa, eHow, and Wired. Have these channels been taken off the video service ?
  • Curios to know if the video content will be continually updated with new channels and content or will new updates only be available to the 2011 blu ray player models ?
  • I know you have answered this question many times but is there any news regarding ITV Player and 4OD appearing on the BDP s370.

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Nab001

• Its presently under discussion as to the best way to implement it. We are keen to do it as it also makes it easier for retailers to disable things like Youtube which could be an issue in store for example.. No timelines at the moment, but rest assured we are keen to do it.
  • No plans at the moment to enable an configurable RSS reader on the platform at the moment, we're focussing resource into new video services.
  • The FIFA channel rights expired at the end of 2010, Wired was never launched in the UK ( the content was just the US content which hadn't been updated in around 18 months) and not sure if the ehow rights carried over to Europe.
  • Absolutely - we're keen where possible for content services to be backwardly compatible. This may present some technical challenges as the 2011 TV platform now offers an open browser on the TV whereas the 2010 models didn't. But certainly on a 'best endeavours' basis.
  • No news at the moment I'm afraid :smileyhappy:. I'm hoping we can launch at least another one or two services in Q1 2011 from amongst the various partners we are in discussions with..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

peteralmgill
Visitor

Hi

Also, if modifications were to be made can I make a request for the thumbnails to be shown in music and video as they already are in photos? The DLNA server is sending them - the BDP is ignoring them...

I was wondering if there were any way that I could disable some of the video feeds shown? I thought I was going to be able to do that after I registered my device via the web - not sure what the point of the register and link to unit was if not...

Many thanks, and looking forward to an update or two in Q1 2011

Peter

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
dradel
Visitor

Good news, the player has a browser already. How about using the BD Remote iPhone app to control it?