Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

SOLVED
topcattim
Explorer

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

This evening my HDD has lost use of digital channels. It gives me a 3 second picture and burst of sound, and then a silent blank screen. The Electronic Programme Guide has changed its appearance, becoming a more vibrant blue - only a few channels have information and it only shows for a few seconds before disappearing.

It is running firmware version 1.24 which I have tried to update to version 1.7 from the Sony website instructions here. I've copied the update to a CD and finalised the disk. When I put it in the HDD tray, and press record stop at the same time as play, it closes the tray, for a few seconds and then spits it out and closes again really quickly but doesn't seem to update the firmware. Certainly I don't get the series of messages about Download-2, 3, 4, etc. When I check the version again, it is still showing version 1.24. I've tried burning a couple of CDs but they both fail to work in exactly the same way.

I've done an Easy Setup, and also a factory reset (stop + power off on the machine). I've also done a factory reset followed by two minutes with the power turned off. All of these have failed.

Can anyone advise me what I should do next?

39 REPLIES 39
TonyBroadgate
Explorer

I also have exactly the same problem as reported by you and 8 other Sony RDR-HXD870 users.
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

garre2
Explorer

I'm equally frustrated by this problem with my HXD870. I have fiddled with the ariel connection as it tells me there is a signal problem. I have re scanned the digital source a coup[le of times and get 120+ channels but none seem to work for more than a second or two then the screen goes blank.

Any ideas anyone...... its theTour de France closing weekend and a second english winner and the tv's...... 

profile.country.en_GB.title
rburton41
Explorer

I think we need to get this escalated by Sony. I rang the Sony  shop in Bromley. He said quite a few people had phoned with these symptoms. 

We have alot of Sony devotees who are rapidly running out of patience with Sony.

I suggest we get together and get some action out of Sony.

StevieD, Who are you wriiting to ??

pewrigh38

change your location to france for now in easy setup and it will work again, but no epg for the time being. once sony fix it we will all have to reprogram the firmware on the machines
MartinMSc
Explorer

Symptoms very much as described by others. Two neighbours I know have identical machines and are experiencing same problems. Does ANYONE have a working RDR-HXDxxx?

SONY - fix this please!

garre2
Explorer

Cheers (pewrigh38) It works.... re scan to France and the channels all work. I'm not concerned about the epg.

At least the Tour is back on ITV4. Thanks for the help..your a star. 

Mickat71
New

Hi,
Same problem for me too, firmware update stuck at "download 5" should I power off the machine?
somersetade
Explorer

Glad I found this topic. Thought the plastic was going to burn again. Mine is a HXD870, exactly the same strange symptoms as everyone else. OH is cross that she couldn't record corrie last night! Luckily we've got a FreeSat receiver, so will be able to watch stuff, and catch up on the stuff on the HDD. Didn't realise they downloaded updates via the Freeview system. Mine is stuck on UPDATE. Not up to Sony's reputation! SORT IT!

topcattim
Explorer

I've discovered (from one of the many parallel threads about this) a temporary solution, courtesy of another poster smjalala. If you use the Easy Setup and set the country to France, you regain the digital channels again and can set the recorder to record programmes manually. Only a temporary fix, but at least it gets it working again.