Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

SOLVED
topcattim
Explorer

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

This evening my HDD has lost use of digital channels. It gives me a 3 second picture and burst of sound, and then a silent blank screen. The Electronic Programme Guide has changed its appearance, becoming a more vibrant blue - only a few channels have information and it only shows for a few seconds before disappearing.

It is running firmware version 1.24 which I have tried to update to version 1.7 from the Sony website instructions here. I've copied the update to a CD and finalised the disk. When I put it in the HDD tray, and press record stop at the same time as play, it closes the tray, for a few seconds and then spits it out and closes again really quickly but doesn't seem to update the firmware. Certainly I don't get the series of messages about Download-2, 3, 4, etc. When I check the version again, it is still showing version 1.24. I've tried burning a couple of CDs but they both fail to work in exactly the same way.

I've done an Easy Setup, and also a factory reset (stop + power off on the machine). I've also done a factory reset followed by two minutes with the power turned off. All of these have failed.

Can anyone advise me what I should do next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

I have locked this thread in a hope that we can limit the number of thread so to avoid confusion & make it easier for users to find the latest information..

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
EFBenson

You may have realised by now that you're not alone (see previous two topics to this one) - different versions of the HDD recorder all going wrong tonight with no previous problems.  It has to be a Sony automatic update problem and we can only hopw they fix it soon.  If it's any consolation my firmware update to 1.70 seemed to be going well but is stuck now on 'download-5', and people who've got 1.70 seem to be in the same boat anyway.

EFBenson

that's 'next topics' of course, not previous - I read them in reverse order!
Mark_IV
Explorer

I have exactly the same symptoms that started last night (19/7/13), ie  It gives me a 3 second picture and burst of sound, and then a silent blank screen. The Electronic Programme Guide has changed its appearance, becoming a more vibrant blue - only a few channels have information and it only shows for a few seconds before disappearing.  The difference is that I already have the 1.7 bios that I updated a long time ago.  I have auto update on and assume an update has been applied that has made the unit useless except ro watch DVDs or programmes previously recorded.  THis morning when I looked at it ut says UPDATE on the front panel and all buttons are unresponsive.  Come on Sony - we expect better from you!

Sneekychalker
Explorer

I have a RDR-HXD770 and my mum has the RDR-HXD890 and both of our machines are having exactly the same problems as the people on this forum...both started yesterday evening (19/07/2013). I tried to re-tune thinking it may be connected to the 4G launch thing, but that didn't work. I thought I would check the internet to see if others are having the same problems before trying anything more drastic. It's clearly something external to our machines if it's happening to all of us, which is reassuring and means Sony should by now be aware of it and working on resolving it.

The machines say they are running an update now and have been since I woke up at 6am this morning, so I will just let that run it's course and hopefully that'll resolve the problem...hopefully by this evening as I'm recording the second part of a series!!!!

PS: Can't believe a giant corpoaration like Sony only staff's it's helpline 9-5 weekdays...appaling customer service by modern standards.

MinaH131
Explorer

I think it's an issue with the guide which is being sorted out which needs to be sorted out with an update.  I was on manual updates and I had the same problem.  Looking on the Net a problem with guides occured in Australia relatively recently.  Has anyone seen anything official from Sony?

MCCONP
Explorer

Same problem with my HXD970. Happened last night. EPG lost but can watch saved recordings. Come on Sony...Get your finger out!!!!

Malty01
Explorer

I have an HXD970 and I am having exacly the same problem. Come on Sony - I missed the highlights of the second days play at Lords because of this.

jimcade
Explorer

RDR-HXD970 Channels vanished last night, tried retune but made no difference. EPG was visible (briefly) but looked a strange green & mainly blank. Recorder will play DVD and recorded programs but no TV channels. Powered off (mains) overnight, little change although digital channel 1 (BBC1) appears BUT NOTHING ELSE. Guide (EPG) does function.

Reluctant to mess further with firmware upgrades until SONY advise (PLEASE)...

sfnchz
Explorer

RDR-HXD90 here with exactly the same situation . . . But, before I was aware of this forum I downloaded the firmware update, burnt to CD ok and the update seemed to be going well but it has now stuck at DOWNLOAD-5   

HELP, how do I turn it off so I can wait for the SONY advise . . ?