Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

SOLVED
topcattim
Explorer

Hard disk RDR-HXD870 lost digital channels

This evening my HDD has lost use of digital channels. It gives me a 3 second picture and burst of sound, and then a silent blank screen. The Electronic Programme Guide has changed its appearance, becoming a more vibrant blue - only a few channels have information and it only shows for a few seconds before disappearing.

It is running firmware version 1.24 which I have tried to update to version 1.7 from the Sony website instructions here. I've copied the update to a CD and finalised the disk. When I put it in the HDD tray, and press record stop at the same time as play, it closes the tray, for a few seconds and then spits it out and closes again really quickly but doesn't seem to update the firmware. Certainly I don't get the series of messages about Download-2, 3, 4, etc. When I check the version again, it is still showing version 1.24. I've tried burning a couple of CDs but they both fail to work in exactly the same way.

I've done an Easy Setup, and also a factory reset (stop + power off on the machine). I've also done a factory reset followed by two minutes with the power turned off. All of these have failed.

Can anyone advise me what I should do next?

39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.GB.title
nickop44
Explorer

My RDR-HXD970 has the same problem. As of this morning no channels from the tuner although I am able to play from DVD's and the Hard Drive. A retuning claims it has found the channels. The different looking EPG is only visible for a couple of seconds then it goes. After a couple of tries the machine freezes!

Help!

Sony will you please sort this major problem out with these players asap.

Eillsn
Explorer

Have exactly the same problem - so glad it's not our machine as I had pound signs flashing before my eyes! Have reset machine to France in easy setup menu and can now watch tv. Sony need to improve their customer service...had my Dad over for 2hrs wasted 2CD discs trying to update the software...not very happy!
Eillsn
Explorer

And me...would appreciate a fix quickly!
Eillsn
Explorer

Exactly the same has just happened to mine when we tried to do the update. You're safe to switch it off but you have to unplug it - the on/off button won't respond. You can continue to watch tv whilst Sony get their act together by going to system menu and easy setup but set it to France, not the UK. You won't get the EPG guide, but you can at least watch tv and record things as long as you set it to record manually.
hedgehog290
Explorer

Even after using the France workaround, once you stop viewing via the recorder, it will attempt an EPG update at the next scheduled time and it will get stuck again just showing "Update", the machine becoming totally unusable.  Pity those who do not have a digital tuner in their TV and are 100% dependant on the recorder for their viewing... Not good.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

anneprice
Explorer

The trouble is, I cannot switch the machine on, either (RDR-HXD890).  Well, I can switch it off at the mains (tried that last night before I read the manual warning about not doing so during an update - oops!)  So, I can't get to system menu to run set up, etc. 

topcattim
Explorer

Anneprice - I have found that my HXD870 is non responsive to my remote control after it has been turned off but I can press the "play" button on the machine itself. This starts it playing the most recent recording. This can then be stopped and then the machine is responsive to the remote control, and I can access system menu.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

I have locked this thread in a hope that we can limit the number of thread so to avoid confusion & make it easier for users to find the latest information..