Join now - be part of our community!

HDD/DVD Recorders - No signal/channels

Flatbrat
Explorer

HDD/DVD Recorders - No signal/channels

I have just logged the following message to SONY via their contact-us form - hopefully they may see it over the weekend (:smileygood_luck:

" Please see community Blog - the automatic software update on digital HDD/DVD players made by Sony across the board on Friday, 19th July 2013 has failed.

My RDR-HXD890 does not have any digital channels, EPG or any Digital Signal. My 1st response yesterday was to re-scan, recorder shows all available channels are picked up, but no signal throughput? My 2nd response was to try & update the software downloaded from your website - the recorder gets to DOWNLOAD-5 and gets stuck - none of the switches on either the remote or the HDD will function - only solution was to unplug-wait & re-connect.

This morning the recorder is stuck on update! It appears that ALL your customers are having the same problem. I had 5 programmes scheduled to record from yesterday evening - of course nothing has recorded, as no signal/channels available.

I am sure there are a lot of customers out there who are not technically savvy, they would automatically think their equipment has failed, so go out and replace it - BUT once this episode gets out your reputation will be in tatters! SONY - do something very urgently!"

:wink:

7 REPLIES 7
Mark_IV
Explorer

Has anyone posted this on Twitter?  Perhaps Sony will notice that?  It seems a news-worthy story (BBC?).  I was planning to buy a new recorder today as I assumed mine was the only one.  I am sure lots of people will do that.

EFBenson

Good idea - Twitter/Facebook often reach the corporate parts that official channels don't! Unfortunately I personally won't touch either application. Anyone out there with FB/Twitter accounts?
brduffy93
New

sending this to Sony

Many thousands of people are having the same problem, I have 2 RDR's,

both failed at the same time last night, a million yo one chance if it

was a single machine fault, rang 4G to see if it was there problem they

said my area not on 4g yet, but as others with Sony equipment had the

problem, to try the Feeview supplier, phoned them and they said we have

no problem with our signals, but have had hundreds and hunreds of calls

from people with Sony equipment, and it seems to be a major Sony fault.

they gave me a number, but as it is saterday no one their till monday,

would have thought an international company as they are, would have a

decent help line.

If Sony do not respond quickly, only alternatives are to flood the Government

and media with complaints eg, media watchdogs, Office of fair trading

(Equipment not fit for purpose)m and local MP's ( but as they are on

holiday!!!!)

SarahA123
New

I'm so pleased I found your post, my HDD recorder said UP DATE on the display this morning, and I've tried for a couple of hours to switch on and off, auto-tune, reset etc. I can now watch previously recorded programmes but have no channels or EPG so cannot record anything new.
I was about to give up and buy a new HDD recorder! But then I saw this & realised it wasn't just mine.
Hopefully Sony will sort it soon. I also can't believe they haven't got a customer helpline available at the weekend!
pewrigh38

hold RECORDER power button for 5 seconds if its stuck in update until it switches off, quickly tap the recorder POWER button until it wakes up and says welcome

menu , easy setup , english language , autoscan , FRANCE for location, and scan for channels

it will freeze on the clock for 2 minutes or so, then may try to scan analogue, so exit out

press and hold power button on recorder and turn off

press again to wake it up

freeview channels should work , menus will work, title list will work , dvd playback will work

but no epg for now so any timer recordings will be manual like on an old vcr

hope that helps

profile.country.en_GB.title
maseage39
Explorer

I did order another machine as i thought the Hard drive was kaput...could I sue?
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***