Join now - be part of our community!

HS20 and HDMI issue

SOLVED
Tim4godssake
Explorer

HS20 and HDMI issue

I quite like my now rather old HS20, and would prefer to not have to upgrade just yet. However, since an accidental clout on the top of the unit, the HDMI input seems goosed, as it will not display anyhting other than error messages  when I try and feed it 720 or 1081(i) from my STB or PS3.

Component input works ok, ( via pjmulti )  as does s-video, but I would really like to use the HDMI connector, as swapping the PS3 diplay outputs is a  PITA.

I expect a "service" or repair charge by a Sony dealer will be silly money...... any ideas anyone ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Does HS20 = VPL-HS20?

It sounds as like a hardware issue.  In the projector, there are a couple of PCB Boards that contain the input/output connectors.

QA Board
Four types of signal formats are compatible with the input jacks on the QA board:

1. Composite: NTSC 480i and PAL or SECAM 575i can be input. This signal is sent to the B board where a digital comb-filter will separate the Y and C component for further processing. This processing will be discussed later.
  2. S-Video: The separate Y and C components (also accepted in the same resolutions as mentioned above for composite) are processed by the B board where the chroma encoding will be removed before being converted to digital.
  3. Component: RGB or Y, R-Y, B-Y can be input here. The user must select the proper component signal by entering the user menu and choosing between component and RGB. A wide variety of NTSC, ATSC, PAL, SECAM and computer resolutions are supported through this input. Table 9-1 lists these.

QB Board
The QB board contains three input jacks supporting both analog and digital video sources.

1. Multi-Connector: CN101, located at the rear of the unit, is a proprietary connector combining all of the input types found on the QA board and providing a single cable by which to connect various types of equipment. If the customer wishes to input more than one source of the same format through this connector, they must purchase an optional interface unit (IFU-HS1) to expand the input capabilities. Computer graphics can also be input by purchasing the optional SIC-HS30 interface cable.
  2. DVI: Known as Digital Video Interface, this input has the capability of providing uncompressed digital video along with supporting HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection). It supports video only and provides the highest possible quality picture from a media source. This model uses the DVI-D (digital only) Dual Link connector. The dual link allows for TMDS (Transmission Minimized Differential Signaling). This allows for a signal resolution of up to 2048 X 1536.
  3. HDMI: Known as High Definition Multimedia Interface, this format will eventually replace DVI. It can transmit six-channel audio along with high-definition video. It is backward compatible with DVI and allows for communication between other devices supporting HDMI.

Now considering that Component and S-Video works, therefore this "appears" to be a problem with the QB board.

The QA and QB Boards are then fed to B and C Boards for processing.

Service Tips:

• Damage to the connectors between the QA and B board can occur if the customer connects and disconnects video jacks on a regular basis. The damage is usually isolated to solder connections at the connector pins and is easily repaired by re-soldering them.
  • If the unit has been dropped, watch for the same problem (loose pins) at the connectors between the B and C board.

Thats all the relevant information that I have. 

I will say though, that I am not a technician or engineer, this information is "As-is" and maybe totally incorrect. 

Therefore I strongly recommend contacting an authorised Sony Repair Centre (as it is a hardware fault anyhow) : HERE

Cheers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Does HS20 = VPL-HS20?

It sounds as like a hardware issue.  In the projector, there are a couple of PCB Boards that contain the input/output connectors.

QA Board
Four types of signal formats are compatible with the input jacks on the QA board:

1. Composite: NTSC 480i and PAL or SECAM 575i can be input. This signal is sent to the B board where a digital comb-filter will separate the Y and C component for further processing. This processing will be discussed later.
  2. S-Video: The separate Y and C components (also accepted in the same resolutions as mentioned above for composite) are processed by the B board where the chroma encoding will be removed before being converted to digital.
  3. Component: RGB or Y, R-Y, B-Y can be input here. The user must select the proper component signal by entering the user menu and choosing between component and RGB. A wide variety of NTSC, ATSC, PAL, SECAM and computer resolutions are supported through this input. Table 9-1 lists these.

QB Board
The QB board contains three input jacks supporting both analog and digital video sources.

1. Multi-Connector: CN101, located at the rear of the unit, is a proprietary connector combining all of the input types found on the QA board and providing a single cable by which to connect various types of equipment. If the customer wishes to input more than one source of the same format through this connector, they must purchase an optional interface unit (IFU-HS1) to expand the input capabilities. Computer graphics can also be input by purchasing the optional SIC-HS30 interface cable.
  2. DVI: Known as Digital Video Interface, this input has the capability of providing uncompressed digital video along with supporting HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection). It supports video only and provides the highest possible quality picture from a media source. This model uses the DVI-D (digital only) Dual Link connector. The dual link allows for TMDS (Transmission Minimized Differential Signaling). This allows for a signal resolution of up to 2048 X 1536.
  3. HDMI: Known as High Definition Multimedia Interface, this format will eventually replace DVI. It can transmit six-channel audio along with high-definition video. It is backward compatible with DVI and allows for communication between other devices supporting HDMI.

Now considering that Component and S-Video works, therefore this "appears" to be a problem with the QB board.

The QA and QB Boards are then fed to B and C Boards for processing.

Service Tips:

• Damage to the connectors between the QA and B board can occur if the customer connects and disconnects video jacks on a regular basis. The damage is usually isolated to solder connections at the connector pins and is easily repaired by re-soldering them.
  • If the unit has been dropped, watch for the same problem (loose pins) at the connectors between the B and C board.

Thats all the relevant information that I have. 

I will say though, that I am not a technician or engineer, this information is "As-is" and maybe totally incorrect. 

Therefore I strongly recommend contacting an authorised Sony Repair Centre (as it is a hardware fault anyhow) : HERE

Cheers

Tim4godssake
Explorer

Thanks for that detailed and speedy reply - first of the year too 😉

I understand it pretty much - except that the component signal I am using goes via the multiplug connector which is using the QB board right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No probs by the way.

Im a little unsure on the signal flow between the two.  Sounds right I think,

A little bit more information for you:

Circuit Boards - VPL-HS20.jpg

Circuit diagram.jpg

Good luck with everything as well :slight_smile:

Cheers

EDIT: Next time dont throw the PS3 controler at your projector !!!!!!!   <grin>

Tim4godssake
Explorer

TY again, I may try and get an old unit for spares, and try swapping out the boards, starting with the QB I think.

PS: it was the cat LOL

Tim4godssake
Explorer

Me again - I had an idea to try:smileythumbsup:

Using a temporary 3 mtr HDMI to DVI-D lead, I plugged a Bluray player in directly, selected DVI on the HS20 ( set to GBR video ) and got a very good picture. However, there is an issue it seems with the longer ( approx 10mtr ) installed HDMI lead that runs through ductwork, and across my loft to the HS20 input. Whenever I try it as above, using a convertor plug to swap from HDMI lead to DVI-D plug, I get nothing. I suspect the HDMI lead may be duff, possibly damaged during installation - but wonder whether its worth the hassle of installing a new one? If I can get this setup to work, it solves the troublesome issue of having to keep alternating the PS3 display settings between component ( which is what I currently use to feed the HS20 ) and HDMI ( for the tv  display ) as the PS3 will only output any one type of signal at any one time.

I guess my main question is this.....

Is DVI-D better than component ?

Thanks IA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

With DVI-D to HDMI it keeps the entire signal digital.  Component adds an analog conversion.  Ive found a rather interesting thread that might be a good read for you:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/104899.html

Hope that helps.

Tim4godssake
Explorer

Seems that will indeed be best to try and resurrect the HDMI cable and use the plug convertor to feed the PJ a nice clean digital signal then - which will allow me to use my AV amp HDMI inputs/output to switch as required from STB to PS3.

Thanks again for your helpful response 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.  Good luck with everything. :four_leaf_clover: