Join now - be part of our community!

HT-XT1 soundbase volume question..

SOLVED

HT-XT1 soundbase volume question..

Hi,

I have just bought a HT-XT1 soundbase and am struggling to set it up properly. I am using it with a fairly old Panasonic Viera TV, connected via an HDMI ARC cable.

When watching in HD we get a louder volume and can only control it using the Sony remote. When watching non hD channels we get a much quieter volume and can adjust it using either the TV remote or the Sony remote.

Is there any simple way to sort this out ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and many thanks for any help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Any TV these days has an optical connection - however when your in the market for a new TV, this is probably irrelevent, because many TVs also have a HDMI-ARC connection.   If it can be connected via HDMI, its much better in the long run - its just your TV is not fully compatible with HDMI-ARC and just assumed that you had an optical out connection - shouldn't have assumed :slight_smile:

Whats important to look for.  Hard to answer actually, simply because your requirements may be different. Lets name a few anyhow.

• Does the TV have enough HDMI connections to suit your needs
  • Picture Quality - The main one for me (and many others)
  • Many smart TVs now include Wifi - however personal opinion, I prefer a dedicated LAN cable instead.  Wifi can cause issues, especially if your TV is not in the same room as your router.

Found this link, which seems to be a decent guide:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/new-tv-buying-guide-5-simple-steps-to-buying-a-new-tv

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Interesting issue - Normally I would expect it to be the other way around (ie SD channels louder, HD channels quieter).  So am wondering if there is an auto switching setting thats changing.

A couple of suggestions on settings to try:

• Set Soundfield to Standard
  • Set Voice to Type1
  • Ensure Night Mode is OFF
  • In the Level menu, Set the DRC to OFF

Hopefully that does it.

Cheers

Many thanks for the reply Quinnicus, but sadly that makes no difference at all...!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems :slight_smile:

Ok, next thing - What model Panna do you have?

Hi Quinnus and thank you so much for helping me out... My TV is a
TH-37PX7E.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Theres one thing I don't quite understand though.  In your first post you mention your TV being rather old and have connected it up using a HDMI cable.  Looking at the spec's of the TV, the TV doesnt support HDMI-ARC features.  For HDMI-ARC, it requires pin 14 and pin 19 to be wired up.

According to the TVs manual:  Pin 14: Reserved (in cable but N.C. on device)

HDMI Terminal.jpg

Im not exactly sure what that means.  Im going on the assumption that N.C on device means Not Connected.  So I cannot work out how it works at all - other than a sheer coincidence/fluke or whatever?

As you have been experiencing audio issues, can you try disconnecting the HDMI cable, and connecting the XT1 via optical cable to the TV instead.  Change any settings on the TV to reflect the optical cable and test on the SD and HD channels.

Now, if that works correctly, re-connect the HDMI cable whilst keeping the optical cable connected, ensure that audio is being outputted via optical via the settings on the TV.  This just may keep the HDMI-CEC settings so that you can use the TVs remote control to adjust the sound volume etc - unsure again, as it is an older TV :slight_smile:

Either way, as far as I can see, the XT1 should be connected via optical to your TV.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Again, so many thanks for your help here.

OK, my TV doesn't have an optical input. It has a scart and the HDMI only.

I have used an HDMI ARC cable but assume from what you are saying that the ARC bit isn't doing anything.

Guess this means that there is no easy fix aside from a new TV, which was hoped for but other things (Christmas, both daughters birthdays, tax bills etc) got in the way.

I'll start saving...

When it comes to it, any new TV with an optical input is likely to do the job, but are there any other important things to look for ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Any TV these days has an optical connection - however when your in the market for a new TV, this is probably irrelevent, because many TVs also have a HDMI-ARC connection.   If it can be connected via HDMI, its much better in the long run - its just your TV is not fully compatible with HDMI-ARC and just assumed that you had an optical out connection - shouldn't have assumed :slight_smile:

Whats important to look for.  Hard to answer actually, simply because your requirements may be different. Lets name a few anyhow.

• Does the TV have enough HDMI connections to suit your needs
  • Picture Quality - The main one for me (and many others)
  • Many smart TVs now include Wifi - however personal opinion, I prefer a dedicated LAN cable instead.  Wifi can cause issues, especially if your TV is not in the same room as your router.

Found this link, which seems to be a decent guide:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/new-tv-buying-guide-5-simple-steps-to-buying-a-new-tv

Cheers

It was me who assumed my TV had a HDMI ARC connection - the optical option wasn't mentioned at the start ! - and you who has been amazing at helping out. Thank you so much.

As for the new TV - picture quality is all important, after all, that is what a TV is about.

The soundbase has more than enough HDMI inputs for us, and my router is by the TV so a LAN connection would be easy, and is what we currently have. Your link is yet another helpful piece of information - I sound like a parrot by saying Thanks yet again, but that is all I can do.

So, Thanks !

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are most welcome - Good Luck with everything :slight_smile: