Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200 subs playback

BDP-S7200 subs playback

I have recently bought a new S7200 blu ray player and have it connected via USB to a HDD. I am having problems with it recognizing subtitles when playing MP4 files and some MKV files.

The subtitle files are .SRT files and are correctly labelled. When I press the Subtitle button on the remote I get the message 'Function not Permitted'.

Anybody have any similar problems with this unit, or any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a scan of the manual : HERE, On page 40, are the supported file formats and codecs.  There is nothing in there that suggests that .srt subs are supported either via USB or DLNA.  Therefore I have to conclude that .srt files are not supported on this player.

As a workaround, your could install a DLNA Media Server on your PC/Laptop such as Serviio and stream to the S7200 that way.  Serviio supports .srt files.

Cheers

Ah okay, that's interesting to know. Hopefully Sony will release an update that will allow this in the near future. Many thanks for the reply.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Just to add some additional information here which backs up Quinnicus's comments.

Sony US have released a KB article Unable to display subtitles when streaming videos via DLNA.

I appreciate that this does not discuss MP4's but the information is useful to note.

Subtitle (.srt file format) is not supported by the Digital Living Network Alliance® server (DLNA) hence will not be displayed when streaming videos.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14