Join now - be part of our community!

iPlayer interface on BDP-S580

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rjdu60
Visitor

iPlayer interface on BDP-S580

My new S580 plays iPlayer content very well when I can find it but there's a lot of frustration getting there becaused the interface doesn't work well with the remote control.

Starting at the home Highlights page I can move left and right with the arrow keys OK, so if the program I want is there I'm fine. But I can't move UP to get to the TV or Search tabs: the focus flickers up there briefly but then jumps back, or sometimes to a different point entirely; it will even select several things at once so that it becomes a game guessing what will happen if I press enter. Persevere long enough and it will eventually get there, but then the whole bizarre experience is repeated on the next tab: last time on TV I just couldn't get beyond BBC3! Right would move left, back to BBC2, the prize of BBC4 forever just out of reach.

I thought it might be something wrong with the remote but no, because it works for everything else, e.g. YouTube, and I tried the iPhone MediaRemote app and the behaviour was exactly the same. It looks to me as if either the iPlayer software is rubbish, or there's something wrong with the way the device maps the signals from the remote into the player commands.

Can anybody help?

RJD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Sounds very strange - worth making sure you have the latest firmware and then do a full hardware reset of the device as something defeinitely isn't right. I was using mine to watch the Apprentice this evening without any problems and I don't remember anyone else posting this quite specific error on here.

If the reset doesn't fix it, get it down to your local service centre and they will be able to take a look at it. You are still easily under warranty so no problems there.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Sounds very strange - worth making sure you have the latest firmware and then do a full hardware reset of the device as something defeinitely isn't right. I was using mine to watch the Apprentice this evening without any problems and I don't remember anyone else posting this quite specific error on here.

If the reset doesn't fix it, get it down to your local service centre and they will be able to take a look at it. You are still easily under warranty so no problems there.

Hope this helps

rjdu60
Visitor

Well, I have to admit to being sceptical about Catmambo's advice but I did do a hardware reset (factory reset of all settings from the Setup menu) and it did fix the problem: I've used iPlayer several times since and it's worked just fine -- no sign of the random behaviour I had previously. So thanks for the help!

RJD