Join now - be part of our community!

No Dolby Digital Output from connected WDTV Live

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

No Dolby Digital Output from connected WDTV Live

Hi all, has anyone experienced this issue before?

I have my WDTV Live SMP connected via HDMI v.1.4 to my Sony STR-DN1040 AV\Receiver but I am only getting PCM sound output!!! The Sony unit is not receiving any Dolby Digital signals from my SMP at all.

I have checked the audio settings on both devices and they appear to be configured correctly. It's not the HDMI lead as I have tried several.

Hopefully this screenshot may help diagnose my issue. I have a number of my movies recorded in this format but I'm not very knowledgeable about the various codecs. Should I be obtaining Dolby Digital sound from these files?

Codec Info Source - VLC Media Player

Audio Codec.jpg

Puzzled!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for your information, there are loads to test files : HERE, that may help.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Maybe I shouldn't have asked, I'm confused already! :dizzy:

What I want to do is convert my movies that have already been encoded as AAC inside the MP4 container, I think that's how you explain it.

Following on from your advice, I had already read the link you sent me but it's a little confusing for a novice such as myself.

Here's what I have changed it too following your advice below.

Handbrake.png

I've set downmix to Dolby Prologic II as suggested but I have 2 options for the codec, AC3 PassThru or AC3 (ffmpeg).

Can you be a little more specific with what settings I should change please?

I'll buy you some cheese! :thumbsup:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I think it 'might' be best to try it twice :slight_smile: as a test run and see which one works best - before converting the rest.  Then you see which one 'works' best (hopefully)

Test 1

Source = 1 English (aac) (2.0 ch)

Codec = AC3 (ffmpeg)

Mixdown = None

Leave rest as defaults

Test 2

Codec = AC3 (ffmpeg)

Mixdown = Dolby Pro Logic II

Leave rest as defaults

Don't use AC3 Passthru for this.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Ok, I think it 'might' be best to try it twice :slight_smile: as a test run and see which one works best - before converting the rest.  Then you see which one 'works' best (hopefully)

Test 1

Codec = AC3 (ffmpeg)

Mixdown = None

Leave rest as defaults

Test 2

Codec = AC3 (ffmpeg)

Mixdown = Dolby Pro Logic II

Leave rest as defaults

That's better, I'll make a teacher out of you yet! :wink:

OMG.., I'll be needing advice on how to tie my shoe laces next!

I'm going to try test 2 first, I'll report back tomorrow with the results

Thanks again mate. :wink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems - and good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Teacher, pfft :slight_smile:

I recommend the tests before converting the rest (as I dont have your exact setup, so hard to know what outcome maybe) and it saves time in the long run.  Hate to convert all vids, and then it doesnt work (done it myself!)

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Oh dear..!

I had to stop test run after 5 minutes, my AMD Phenom quad core processor was sitting at 100%. I'm not sure leaving it like that for over an hour will do it any good?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its perfectly normal

My dual core laptop does the same - and boy does it throw out some heat.  :slight_smile:  Ive had large batch runs process overnight, and still going by the next morning (8 or so hours later)  LOL

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Phew!

Thanks for that, I've always been a little worried about such things because some programmes I've seen will shut the system down if high CPU is detected for too long.

I'll try it again later, just off out to pot my tomatoes up.

Ta ta..

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Back again!

I adjusted my machine's performance settings using ASUS EPU4 Engine too 'Performance Mode', I think it made a difference..

Although CPU stayed at 99-100% throughout the CPU temperature did not go beyond 54 degress C

(usually it is around 38 - 40 degrees C - no load)

The original MP4 file was 827 MB

New AC3 encoded file is 1.24 GB

Here's the VLC Codec Info - It looks right to me and sounds good on my PC

I will test on the DN1040 later

Cheers again Quinnicus - Lucky Star Awarded! :clap:

VLC.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - sounds about right, AC3 will increase the filesize.