Join now - be part of our community!

No sound on main feature on some Blu-rays played on BDV-E300

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sirober65
Visitor

No sound on main feature on some Blu-rays played on BDV-E300

I have a problem with some films during playback of Blu-rays ( Monsters inc & Up are examples ) in that when the main film feature is played there is  no sound via the system speakers though all other features and trailers produce normal sound.Toy Story 3 and many others will play all of the content so I cannot see it is a faulty unit which having run Sony and going through the basic set up checks is what they suggest my problem is.

The BDV-E300 is connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia KDL-40V4000 and plays as it should but not the two films shown above.

The Sony guy confirmed all settings were good and that he had never come accross this problem before. Can anyone help or suggest anything as this must be something simple but causing me great frustration. The discs will play all content when played via a PS3 which is coonected via HDMI and Optical to the BDV-E300 so I cannot see that these discs are the cause.

Thanks          

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jorowla58
Visitor

Right I've sorted it. The issue is to do with the optical connection, go to the audio setup on your TV and change the optical output/input to be PCM.

Done. :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jorowla58
Visitor

I'm having the same problem with Toy Story 1 and 2 (Toy Story 3 works fine). The audio is working fine in the menus, trailers etc until the main feature starts, then nothing on the 5.1 HD track. If you switch the audio to one of the other audio tracks it works, unfortunaty I don't speak french or dutch. :cry:

Perhaps there is a compatibilty issue with some Disney BluRays and the BDV-E300. I've not had this issue with any other BluRays. My BluRay player is connected to the internet and fully updated and connected via HDMI to a Sony KDL32W5810.

I thought maybe it was a dodgy BR but it sounds like its more widespread........is there a system update required?

Hope someone from Sony a solution to this. :neutral:

jorowla58
Visitor

Just been googling and found this on the Disney website...

Why does my LG Blu-ray player have audio issues when playing Toy Story 3 on Blu-ray?

We are aware that certain LG Blu-ray players are having issues decoding the main audio track on the Toy Story 3 Blu-ray Disc. This issue can occur when the player is connected directly to a television with an HDMI cable.

To correct this issue, simply press the "audio" button on your LG Blu-ray player’s remote control twice while the feature movie is playing. This will switch the audio to the second track on the disc and decode the audio properly. This is track 2 of 5 and should be labeled "2 ENG".

You can also adjust the audio settings of your player to correct this issue. When no disc is in the player, press the "Home" button on the remote to access the Setup menu. In the Audio Setup menu, change the HDMI setting to "DTS Re-Encode". Then, exit the Setup menu and play the disc again.

To permanently fix this issue, you will need to update your LG Blu-ray player to the latest firmware version. Please contact LG at 1-800-243-0000 to ensure you receive the latest firmware update.

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/Blu-ray_Help.html

Could the same issue or similar apply to the BDV-E500?

jorowla58
Visitor

Right another update! After trying to use the the LG fix ("change the HDMI setting to DTS Re-Encode"), the Sony BDV-E500 doesn't have this option. However, if you switch the audio to come through the TV the audio works, proving that the disks aren't at fault.

Obviously a problem with the firmware which needs to be fixed! :wink:

oxobox
New

I have had this problem on two disks so far. Moon non blu-ray and Pixmar - Up blu-ray version. So hope we get firmware update soon to resolve this along with iplayer facility.

jorowla58
Visitor

I tried Monsters Inc. today and the same problem occurs, no sound on the main feature using the Master Audio track.

This issue was happening on the PS3 Slim according to some other forums but they got a firmware update which fixed it.

Come on Sony time for version 10 firmware. :wink:

jorowla58
Visitor

Right I've sorted it. The issue is to do with the optical connection, go to the audio setup on your TV and change the optical output/input to be PCM.

Done. :slight_smile: