Join now - be part of our community!

Problem connecting Sony components: Blu-ray player, Amp and TV

SOLVED

Problem connecting Sony components: Blu-ray player, Amp and TV

How should I connect:

• Sony “BDP S185” Blu-ray Player

• Sony “SDR-DH520” Amp

• and Sony “KDL-4-CX523” TV?

These are the things that I have tried...

Option 1:

Connecting through the TV with...

• HDMI cable from Blu-ray to TV

• and HDMI cable from Amp to TV

With this setup, the Bravia Sync works and the TV remote controls the Blu-ray player. BUT there is no surround sound, just stereo.

Option 2:

Connecting through the Amp with...

• HDMI cable from Blu-ray to Amp

• HDMI cable from TV to Amp

With this setup, the surround sound works, BUT the Bravia Sync does not and the TV remote does not control the Blu-ray player.

I used option 2 when I first purchased the Blu-ray player and the TV remote worked fine to control everything. However, since upgrading the firmware to “M09.R0042”, the Bravia Sync has stopped working and I'm forced to use the remote that came with the Blu-ray player and manually change the Amp to Bluray input.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The way I would connect it is (option 2):

• TV (ARC - normally HDMI 1) > DH520 via HDMI
  • Blu-ray > DH520 via HDMI

Ensure that you have "Control for HDMI" switched "ON" for all devices.

• See page 47 of the DH520 : Here
  • See instructions on TV : Here
  • Page 18 of the Bluray player : Here

I have my KDL-40NX723 > DH820 > PS3 all hooked up this way, and works perfectly (all very similar im specifications). 

Also ensure that you have your TV's audio settings to output externally.

If everything is working correctly - When you press [Sync Menu] on the TV remote control, goto "HDMI Device Selection" - If only 1 device is connected that device will switch on.  If you have more than one, you should see a menu (see pic below)

HDMI.jpg

You can also press the blue [Home] button on the TV's remote control, and goto "Settings" > "External Inputs" > "HDMI Setup" > "HDMI Device List".  See the manual here : http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/eng/CX52x_o32/st_hdmisetup.html

This should give you some more hints.

I also found that every now and then, sometimes everything refused to work (HDMI handshake issue), even though all equipment is connected correctly.  This is resolved but switching everything off via the power switch on the wall. 

Hope this helps in anyway

Cheers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The way I would connect it is (option 2):

• TV (ARC - normally HDMI 1) > DH520 via HDMI
  • Blu-ray > DH520 via HDMI

Ensure that you have "Control for HDMI" switched "ON" for all devices.

• See page 47 of the DH520 : Here
  • See instructions on TV : Here
  • Page 18 of the Bluray player : Here

I have my KDL-40NX723 > DH820 > PS3 all hooked up this way, and works perfectly (all very similar im specifications). 

Also ensure that you have your TV's audio settings to output externally.

If everything is working correctly - When you press [Sync Menu] on the TV remote control, goto "HDMI Device Selection" - If only 1 device is connected that device will switch on.  If you have more than one, you should see a menu (see pic below)

HDMI.jpg

You can also press the blue [Home] button on the TV's remote control, and goto "Settings" > "External Inputs" > "HDMI Setup" > "HDMI Device List".  See the manual here : http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/eng/CX52x_o32/st_hdmisetup.html

This should give you some more hints.

I also found that every now and then, sometimes everything refused to work (HDMI handshake issue), even though all equipment is connected correctly.  This is resolved but switching everything off via the power switch on the wall. 

Hope this helps in anyway

Cheers.

Tried this tonight and it worked!

Thank you so much for your help. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome :slight_smile: