Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 fails to format blank DVD+RW

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rjbarker
Explorer

RDR-HXD870 fails to format blank DVD+RW

Replenished stock of blank dvds but formatting new ones failed.

Tried three blank Maxell rewritable +RW dvds, saw HXD890 's message it's formatting and to wait - BUT it hung! No progress whatsoever. After couple of minutes managed to extract disc and run two lens cleaners, which ran ok. Tried another two blank dvds but they too failed to be formatted. 

To test recorder, I reformatted an existing, recorded +rw dvd. Procedure ran properly, showed progress, completed formatting within a minute!!

Maxell discs comprise the majority of our collection, so there's normally no problem and conclude problem lies with  Sony recorder.

Your earliest resolution is most appreciated as have less than week to retaurn 'faulty' discs.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rjbarker
Explorer

Hi Mike and you're right. Last night I tried some blanks from middle of pile and three formatted correctly and then another got 'cannot format' message. Tried previous failures again, letting recorder run as long as needed to (approx 5 mins and no write-read sounds) and then full failure message appeared. 

So will buy other maker's discs and return faulty ones to Amazon, whom I find good in dealing with refunds.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rjbarker
Explorer

OOPs typo in subjest header - it should read 'HXD890', noy '870'

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @rjbarker

It probably would be a good idea to purchase another brand of blank DVD, to properly eliminate the recorder as the source of the problem.

If you can rule out the media as the cause, we can look at troubleshooting the device. 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
rjbarker
Explorer

Hi Mike and you're right. Last night I tried some blanks from middle of pile and three formatted correctly and then another got 'cannot format' message. Tried previous failures again, letting recorder run as long as needed to (approx 5 mins and no write-read sounds) and then full failure message appeared. 

So will buy other maker's discs and return faulty ones to Amazon, whom I find good in dealing with refunds.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I've recently run into issues with my RDR870 and RDR890. Some Philips DVD's were giving freezing/jerky playback. I use the discs to occasionally record on one machine and play on the other and these discs were under 2 yrs old and little used. The same issue occured no matter which machine was used and so it looked like faulty discs.

Verbatim seem to be the most highly regarded brand and so a week ago I bought a pack of 25 for just under £20. Perfect results all round so far. I've also had TDK discs literally deteriorate before my eyes, just a visual look at the surface showed the dye becoming blotchy and non uniform. 

profile.country.GB.title
rjbarker
Explorer

Thanks for taking trouble to comment and your experience is appreciated but I'd already aquired a smaller pack of TDK. So will watch out for quality issues. Tried 1 disc and it too failed to format!  Conclude it must be the machine