Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As you wrote it's normal that your recorder try an update 4 times a day. The fault is in the firmware 1.70 (be sure you have it installed.

The procedure to bypass the problem is similar to the one you tried:

• reset the recorder (stop + poweroff on the deck)
  • unplug from main for 2 minutes
  • apply the easy setup procedure, including retuning the machine

Once it's done you should have it working as usual

Please note: This is not a solution to the ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

View solution in original post

149 REPLIES 149
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As you wrote it's normal that your recorder try an update 4 times a day. The fault is in the firmware 1.70 (be sure you have it installed.

The procedure to bypass the problem is similar to the one you tried:

• reset the recorder (stop + poweroff on the deck)
  • unplug from main for 2 minutes
  • apply the easy setup procedure, including retuning the machine

Once it's done you should have it working as usual

Please note: This is not a solution to the ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Mrsoftee
Visitor

Rooobb,   Totally successful.  Thanks for your prompt response.

neilsalf
Visitor

I had exactly the same problem with my RDR-HXD870 yesterday (18-Apr-13) and successfully updated the firmware from V1.65 to V1.70 last night. The channel list was empty and I successfully  reloaded all channels and went to bed happy!

This morning (19-Apr-13) the machine was again stuck in update mode and failed to record a programme at 14:15 today. By switching off at the socket I managed to get the recorder up and running (apparently) normally.

There was nothing showing in the timer list that the programme had not broadcast and there was nothing in the recording list.There were other programmes set to record tomorrow and beyond and they were still showing in the timer list.

I set another programme to record within 5 minutes of it starting to test the record function. The programme didn't record despite the fact that it still showed as set in the Timer display.

I then set the Tuner to add channels and, as it did the previous day, it started fine until about 2/3 the way through when the TV screen went blank and the recorder went into standby with "TUNING" showing in the recorder display and was stuck there.

I reset everything again and got the machine running. This time, the programme I had set to record earlier showed in the Timer list as "Not Broadcast" but the one that I set later to test the machine has disappeared altogether.

I then found your item on this site and followed your suggestion to the letter. The Easy Setup started OK but, again almost at the end of the Tuning function the TV screen went blank and the recorder was stuck in Standby with "TUNING" showing in the recorder display.

You say that the fault is in the 1.70 firmware, is there any intention by Sony to sort this out?

Thank you

cmdady
Explorer

I have tried all of the suggested fixes, but nothing works

bigalsmrs
Explorer

I am in exactly the same predicament! Have tried everything that has been suggested and nothing works. It has been stuck in the UPDATE mode since last night. I am totally useless with gadgets and am at the stage where I feel it would almost be easier to stick to my old radio! Is there ANYTHING else we can try before I have to give up on this piece of modern technology?!

pewrigh38

not true at all, you can hold the power button for 5 seconds until it switches off, then tap the power button a few times until it comes on again, now go into the menu and in easy setup choose FRANCE as your location and retune it, freeview will work again but not the epg, so we need a pioneer firmware fix for that via sony and then we can go back to UK as our location (so english menus but french location). (I did not find this out myself but read all the various forums and found the info was posted by their members)
EFBenson

Yes this will get everything useable again - and I  noticed when I tuned my channels that it waited a long time while trying - unsuccessfully - to set the clock, which I later set manually to enable recording.  Why should selecting France allow us to watch DTV again, I wonder?

pewrigh38

I put the problem down to the epg and so once you remove the uk epg from the equation (by choosing france or ireland as your location) it can accept the uk freeview channels. so I would say its an epg problem that is specific to the uk seeing as it works if you choose a different country for your location

now why this happened yesterday is a very good question and one pioneer need to solve seeing as they made the pioneer and sony models and issued the firmware and both makes are affected (not just sony)
EFBenson

that makes sense