Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

149 REPLIES 149
fugbat

Dangerous Dave, we followed pewrigh38's instructions, and now seem to be back to normal; I'm just off to the patisserie for a baton.
cornishwhippet
Explorer

Indeed how will they let us know??? Just a bit of feedback for Sony in general - for those of us not on Twitter maybe it would have been better to put something on your website first as a major tag line warning etc as well as on a social media site. You were too slow to respond. Very poor service and indeed how will you let us all know the problem has been fixed. I almost purchased a new machine thinking my 5 yr old machine had given up the ghost!!!! Its a great machine and to be fair still going strong after excellent service but this has been a bad day for Sony and has knocked my confidence in the brand. Postings by PEWright  - excellent work, you should work for Sony customer care. Saved the day, for some of us at least.

cornishwhippet
Explorer

HAAAAAA....love it H
davidjwild
Explorer

Hi - any 'experts' out there able to advise me what to do next ?

(the Sony Update Download page says do NOT touch the player whilst the upgrade to 1.70 is in progress)

My box is stuck at DOWNLOAD-5 with drawer still out and has been for 5 hours ! 

Reading other posts it seems that whatever I do now will not let me tune to France EPG so is the box considered dead ?

It would have been helpful for Sony's Major Incident Team to have at least posted an acknowledgement on this (their OWN site) and given some guidance to their customers. I pity those who have no internet - no Sony Centre shop is answering it's phone, the online email system is down and the 0844 Customer Services number is permanently engaged ! Hmmm not good for brand credibility.

Should I unplug it / close the drawer or power it off with the 7 second power button press ? ?

What is safest thing to do to get to the point where I can try and tune to Ireland or France ?

Grapos
Explorer

The same here too... It would be nice if Sony could let us know the estimated time to fix this problem. It is very annoying! We are based in Buckinghamshire

Birdlanduk
Explorer

My Sony HXD870 has been missing it's channels all day also! I have followed your intructions exactly as written now about 10 times over and it still DOESN'T WORK!!!!! still sat here after many hours facing a blank lot of channels! so obviously it's NOT a fix for all HXD870's! thanks anyway though but HELP!  any other suggestions most welcome ????:)  PS so was it some kind of Sony update that messed up all of our machines all at roughly the same time? plus great customer service Sony having your help phone lines closed over the Weekend really lame & NOT helpful!

Stubkeef
Explorer

Great solution. Same problem as others with 2 x 890 - yes i've got 2 of them BOTH stuck. Also my mother's machine. Well done for working it out. What have Sony done to create this havoc? Hope they're working overtime to sort it out and QUICKLY
profile.country.GB.title
liketv
esmerelda25
Explorer

Have just held in power button until recorder turns off,however it then comes straight back on with update displayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seem to be wasting a lot of the day with this.

Dangerous_Dave_T
Explorer

Thanks fugbat, I should have said I tried pewrigh38's suggestion but it didn't work. The stations tune in fine but they are gone when I power off and back on again. Tried it with Belgium and Germany too - same thing. I will try a few different variations on the Easy Setup options but I am not confident this will work.

First day of the school holidays, way to go Sony!