Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

149 REPLIES 149
boblambert
Explorer

Looks like I will have to go French for a while! I checked the firmware release - 16.2. I downloaded 17.0 but my Windows 7 PC wont handle a MEM file. I'm not keen to throw money at dubious web sites for software that claims to handle MEM files. Why would Sony use what seems to be an obsolete format? Can I get round this anyway and is release 17.0 still relevant to this problem. I've got out of UPDATE mode but only get black screen.

jfbukxx
Explorer

Like Emerelda25 this fix is not working for me because as soon as the recorder powers down it immediately powers up again.

In fact pressing STOP with power off has no effect it is only pressing power off for several seconds that induces any reaction in the machine.

No controls work so cannot open the DVD drawer or check firmware levels 

Any further help much appreciated

Thanks

I am having the same problem with my RDR-HXD870 today.

Holding the stop button and pressing the off button (to reset) does nothing.

If I hold the off button for 7s the machine turns off then immediately turns on again with the UPDATE message on display.

I've disconnected the power for several minutes, but got UPDATE when I connected again.

I believe I have the 1.7 version of firmware.

Please help!!! 

rsces57
Explorer

Exactly same thing is happening with my RDR HXD 870.  I cannot power it down, open the DVD drawer, everything is locked in the UPDATE mode.  Interestingly, we have a RDR DC200 in the family & thay doesn't appear to be affected.

Eillsn
Explorer

I have an 870...you need to go to system menu, easy setup and tell it that you're in France! You won't be able to use th guide, but can watch TV...better than nothing whilst waiting for Sony to get it sorted!
profile.country.GB.title
geof28
Explorer

I have the same problem, no EPG. I have firmware 1.65 so it is not 1.70 that is causing the problem on my machine. Have tried all the suggested solutions without success.
jfbukxx
Explorer

Finally managed to get some joy. Hold down power off for several seconds until machine powers off. Quickly tap power off before it starts to power on again and hey presto welcome message on display :slight_smile:
profile.country.GB.title
geof28
Explorer

Telling it I am in France worked, so thank you Eillsn. Still no EPG and I now know the time in Paris!
rsces57
Explorer

Tried tapping the power button & eventually machine started up and allowed me access to set up menu.  Have set tuning for France & have got channels back but no guide.  Sony, this needs sorting asap.