Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mrsoftee
Visitor

RDR-HXD870 stuck in UPDATE mode

My RDR HXD870 updates about 4 x per day which is normally fine but now it locks in to update which completely freezes the machine .  When this happens the only way to release it is to hold in the power button for 7secs. I have tried a hard reset and a firmware update...both failed to cure it. Any ideas anyone please.

149 REPLIES 149
Dangerous_Dave_T
Explorer

I turned the box off/on at the wall when the firmware update got stuck. Seems to have updated OK though.

JimG666
Explorer

I have 2 x elderly Pioneer LX60D recorders, which I believe share the software used by some of the Sony models, and BOTH my machines have the "stuck in UPDATE" problem, which showed up overnight.  I arrived here because a Google search pointed here, and am a Community member here because I have a recent-model Sony Bravia (which I think is excellent).

I suspect solutions to this problem will have to wait until after the weekend, when technical people (at Pioneer?) get back to work (call me cynical) :wink:

Alfiewoo
Explorer

Thank you pewrigh, it worked for me.
davidjwild
Explorer

Diyisfun + jostani5094 + brad_zoom,

I will reply to you with my experience to the same problem you had - as Sony seem incapable of getting someone from their Major Incident Team or their Marketing / Customer Support Team to post any kind of meaningful explanation / apology.

:rolling_eyes:
Oh . . . and don't tell me it's not something they have done as Panansonic / Samsung machines etc are NOT suffering from the same problem.

I too was stuck at DOWNLOAD-5 (after burning the CD-R and trying to upgrade to v1.70) with the machines tongue poking out at me.
I tried ringing local Sony Centre shop but none of calls picked up, Sony Head Office number had a nice security man who gave me 0844 'Customer Service' (sic) number which was permanently engaged, Sony's own email facility was also down . . . . hmm I'm noticing a trend here and a distinct lack of compassion for people who keep them in profit . . .

After 6 hours of hoping the drawer would close and reading what others have said in here I decided to bite the bullet and pull its plug (it would not power down even holding for more than 7 secs or the button combos mentioned).

On re-inserting plug it said UPDATE, then soon after went to WELCOME. So quickly checked to find v1.70 was shown and then changed to FRANCE as explained earlier. This has now left us with no EPG so have to do manual recordings as people have said, have tried one for later tonight and it's stored in there so far !

We also STILL HAVE ALL our recordings from previously so the chances are you should be fine doing the same thing . . . . but it's gotta be your call and a risk you're going to have to face is that you could bust the whole thing and lose the lot.

But hey - bad as it is, worse things have happened so I would say give it a go.

Finally, if Sony have done nothing about this problem since it was reported in April they should be ashamed of thier lack of Customer Care and deserve the brand damage that is gonna hit them because of this debacle and their complete lack of communication to the people who pay their wages.

It doesn't take much for someone to post a decent reply on this thread if they can do it on Farcebook or Twaddle !

profile.country.GB.title
brad_zoom
Explorer

Update, after my firmware update sticking on Download-5 I simply unplugged the machine, it then went into "UPDATE" on the screen so I did a reset "Stop button hold then power off". Finally was able use the initial setup workaround and selecting "France" as proposed in the earlier messages for my location. Now I have pictures but no EPG - thanks to the excellent advise!

Timer recording is now a manual process which is annoying (or via my Sony TV, again not ideal but works to a point).

Awaiting proper fix from Sony soon please!!

yasar1
Explorer

How do you know which firmware you are on and how do you update it? Your help will be appreciated
sammy4567
Explorer

Just a note for those struggling to find a CD-R or CD-RW disk.

I used a DVD+R disc to do the firmware update and it did the job.

rburton41
Explorer

If anyone needs a Firmware 1.66 & 1.70 discs, i have a spare set i can send out....

You can check the firmware version as follows:-

System menu Buttton

Initial Setup----Audio Out-----Dolby Digital Output------Dolby Digital, then press Angle button on remote.

Thedaddtcool
Explorer

Another stuffed RDR-HXD870 here.

Done the France temporary work around so thanks to all who suggested that.

I've contacted Sony customer service and some newsdesks as suggested.

I used to buy a lot of Sony products but no more.  My Bravia internet IT still can't use ITV player when rivals can.

Sony is not what it was.