Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP, Receiver & TV - DD/DTS not working when TV on

Sony BDP, Receiver & TV - DD/DTS not working when TV on

Hi,

I seem to be having a very strange issue. I have my BD player connected to my receiver via HDMI which in turn is hooked up to my TV.

When the TV is either off or on a channel other than the HDMI channel the output of the receiver is on, the 5.1-7.1 sound from the BD player works fine - i.e the blue light comes on the receiver and I can hear multichannel sound.

However, as soon as the TV is on and on the HDMI channel from the receiver, the receiver goes into 2 channel sound.

So I either get the full sound output and no picture or picture by only stereo sound.

I believe this is due to the BD player believing it is hooked up directly to the TV rather than the receiver but can't figure out why. I've tried disabling anything on both the BDP and TV that allows control over HDMI but to no avail.

Equipment:

BD: BDP-S380

Receiver: STR-DA5200ES

TV: KDL-46W5500

Has anyone come across this before?

I have no issues with this from a satallite box or a HTPC which the receiver/TV combo deal with just fine with multi-channel soundtracks.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I'm struggling to understand your explanation of this issue to be honest. However if I am to take a wild guess I had something similar happen on my STR-DN1040 Receiver when I set the Audio Out setting to TV+AMP on the receiver menu. In this instance my sound output was PCM only however changing it to 'AMP' I was then able to hear full 5.1 or 7.1 Surround.

As I say it's just a guess but may be worth an experiment.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
tazdev7369
Explorer

I believe I am having a similiar issue. Bought a new sony bdp-s7200 today, hooked it up via the hdmi to my pioneer av receiver at the BD input. Put in a disc that outputs to 7.1, however playback from the bluray player was only in stereo. Checked the disc out on my sony ps3, the playback was pcm 7.1. Switched hdmi cables, also switced inputs, but no matter what bluray discs I tried the playback was always stereo. I've looked at the audio settings but cannot see what I can do differently I've emailed sony support to see if they can assist. Will let you know if there is a resolution.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I have a BDP-S7200 also. :wink:

You might try changing this setting in the Audio Settings Menu...

[BD Audio MIX Setting] (page 29 user manual)

Set this to OFF

[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select this to output HD audio signals to an AV amplifier (receiver).

Also check the following setting is correct:-

[Downmix] (page 30 user manual).

Set this to:- [Surround] - I suspect your's is currently set to Stereo which is wrong!!

Setting it to Surround Outputs audio signals with surround effects. Select this when connecting an audio device that supports Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS Neo:6.

If my reply solves your question please give me some kudos, it makes me happy! :yahoo:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
tazdev7369
Explorer

Thanks for your input.

mixed success.

when television is on and the settings you suggested are selected playback is still stereo.

switched off my television, playback becomes surround sound, so switched television back on, switched back to stereo.

any thoughts?

seems similiar issue to person starting this thread. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Do you have your TV hooked-up to your AV/ Receiver also? If so are you using an HDMI out connection from your receiver back to your TV? Does your TV have an HDMI ARC connection?

Can you provide the make & model number of your TV & Model number of your Pioneer Receiver, it would be useful to diagnose which connections you should be making and which settings if any need to be changed?

From what you describe it sounds like when your TV is on you're hearing the TV sound via the receiver which is most likely stereo instead of hearing the sound from the BD Player. Maybe something is hooked up wrong?

tazdev7369
Explorer

Television is hooked up to av receiver, general use pass through for sky, unless watching a movie. Yes I am using a HDMI out (out 1 control) from receiver back to the television. I do not believe the television has an arc connection, checked the settings.

television is samsung PS50C680

receiver is the Pioneer VSX-924

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have been having a look into this.  Unfortunately there is no other settings that would make a difference on the bluray player, than the ones MK_Slinky suggested above.  My guess is that there is a setting on the AV Reciever that is forcing 2ch stereo.

Ok, a test:

As your TV soes not support HDMI-ARC, you need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the AV Reciver and output audio via this optical cable.  Once done and you can confirm you get audio from the TV to the AV Receiver, connect the bluray player to the TV via HDMI and see if you can output 5.1 audio to the AV Reciever.

Also, I dont suppose its anything silly like you selecting the 2ch stereo soundtrack from the bluray disc itself (via audio menu options?)

Cheers

tazdev7369
Explorer

Again, thanks for the input.

I had considered what you suggested with using a digital optical cable, need to purchase a longer one.

If the receiver is forcing it into 2ch stereo, why then when the television is switched off is the playback 7.1 PCM?

That is what is confusing, what is it about the television being on that causes the issue. 

Yea, I checked I hadn't selected 2ch soundtrack, though can happen. Could it be as simple as turning the passthrough off?

cheers

tazdev7369
Explorer

Hi folks

problem has been resolved.

There was a conflict because I had left my sky box switched on while trying to use the BDP, as soon as this was switched off the problem resolved and playback is in surround sound, and sounds amazing if say so myself.

simpliest solutions always the best

many thanks for responses