Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP-S185 how to access certain features.....

SOLVED
Legal_Alien
Explorer

Sony BDP-S185 how to access certain features.....

Got a BDP-S185 and have tried without success to find out how to save things to the favourites bar and how to rate things I have watched on youtube with it. The manual does not say how to do this anywhere and when I have emailed Sony a number of times they haven't got back to me. When I try to save things or rate things it asked for a username and password!!!??? Who do I get the password and username off??? Can anyone help? Sony's aftercare service is not good quite frankly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done a bit more research on this, and believe we are on the right track about creating a YouTube Channel : Found this on the Sony Forums USA : Here

So. On a computer or laptop

• Goto http://www.youtube.com and sign into YouTube, using your YouTube or Google username and password.  If you do not have one, create one.
  • Once signed in, there is a little arrow pointing downwards at the top right-hand side of the screen, next to a silhouette of what looks like a persons head - click on that arrow and choose "My channel"
  • Follow the on-screen instructions on creating a YouTube Channel.
  • Once created, try signing into your account on the bluray player using your YouTube username and password.

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Mr_Onion

I assume that it means your You Tube username and password (the same one that you would use to rate the videos if you were using the PC)

Legal_Alien
Explorer

Goodness gracious! Why didn't I think of that?! :thinking: I'll give it a try and let you know mate. Cheers!

Legal_Alien
Explorer

No. it didn't work, but I like your lateral thinking! I wrote to Sony and they seem baffled as well. The machine I have enables you to watch youtube stuff on the telly and the options button has the ability to save things to a favourites bar and the option to rate the vids you've watched. But goodness knows how you do it!? If Sony don't then who does?! Cheers anyway mate.

Mr_Onion

Oh, and I thought that would be the answer. Have you set a PIN on the S185? Any other access codes?

Other than that I am out of ideas, sorry.

Legal_Alien
Explorer

For my part, your answer was excellent. I tried it and it didn't work as I said, and now I have got a username and will see if that works. If it doesn't, then I'm stumped to be honest. Got a pin and registered the machine too. I noticed that other people have rated things so understandably wanted to see if I could. But thanks for giving me some ideas, it is much appreciated mate! :wink:

All in all as well, it's very good too, I just wish Sony were a bit more on the ball but then they have so many products that it's perfect understandable that they can't know everything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im unsure if you have managed to resolve your problem.  Have you managed to log into the YouTube application?

Cheers

Legal_Alien
Explorer

I haven't managed to suss it out, no. I tried my youtube username and password, that didn't work, I tried my username here and password and that didn't work and I then got a sony entertainment website username and tried that, and that didn't work!? So I'm a bit stumped hey? Can you explain if I am on the wrong track mate?! I did write to them and they mentioned something about what telly I had but I can't see how that is anything to do with it tbh?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To access your YouTube account via the application on the blu-ray player, you must login using your YouTube or Google accounts.  Now my mum had problems logging into her YouTube account via her TV - It finally worked when I enabled Google+ services and having an activated YouTube channel (coincidence - no idea)

Leaving the Google+ aside.  Im reasonably confident that if you set up a YouTube channel via their website - this should enable you to log on via your blu-ray player.

What error message are you getting?  Can you please explain the process on how you are trying to log in, on a step-by-step (cook-book instructions) basis?

Legal_Alien
Explorer

I did try to log in with my youtube account that didn't work and not sure if I have a Google account or if I have it's the same log in as the youtube one.

No wonder they couldn't help me! It'd be easier training to be an astronaut!!! I'm not sure how I would set up a youtube channel via the Sony website.

I logged on with youtube account, I logged on with the sony.co.uk account and with the sonyentertainment account, 3 separate accounts and none of them worked. It came back 'log in failed: please check your entries' Have no idea what that means. And the log in is required whenever you want to rate a video and whenever you want to save something to favourites.