Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DVD Recorder update.

decapla
Explorer

Sony DVD Recorder update.

I have been left with a weird problem following this update. My RDR-HXD770 no longer has Freeview in 16:9.

I watch on a 16:10 monitor and it was perfect until the update (black line top and bottom). Now is full screen and distorted. Have updated firmware to 1.70 and factory reset several times, but no joy. Sony are unable/unwilling to help,(its my problem). I am still waiting for phone calls that never come from the technical department.

4 REPLIES 4
pewrigh38

there has been no update - not 2 weeks ago nor yesterday, its a myth

you have updated your recorder to firmware v1.70 and factory reset it, and connected (by means unknown as you never mentioned the connection method) to some sort of monitor

when you buy a product from new (or factory reset it), you as an owner are expected to read the manual and set it up according to your connection method and each method has its own section in the instruction book

so decide how it is connected, and read the relevant section to determine the user settings appropriate to you

in other words sony sold you a product, and you are expected to set it up accordingly, subject to the connection method, personal preferences and the equipment it is being connected to

in other words, if you buy a ford fiesta, how you drive it is up to you, they sell you the product, you set the driving position up to your personal preferences and you drive it according to the laws of the roads you use it on, ford are not responsible for any of the latter, just ensuring that it meets its specification (as sold)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Decapla

Without knowing what monitor you have it connected at.  Can I point you to page 144 of the manual : http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3113760121.pdf

You may need to experiment with the settings here - under TV Type.

You may also want to look at the HDMI Settings (HDMI Output) on page 147 also.

I have also had a look at the screen resolutions for a 16:10 monitor, and cannot find one that your recorder uses.  See : Resolution List

You may also need to have a look at the Aspect ratio of your monitor as well.

Hope that assists.

PS: Pewrigh38 - I dont know if its me (not feeling too well today) - but you came across rather hard in your reply.

decapla
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for replying. 

All settings are correct, I cannot change from 16: 9 setting as its connected through a HDMI cable and cannot be changed. Also all monitor settings are automatic (if connected through HDMI) although it has also been reset several times. Before the recent Sony debacle it worked perfectly through this monitor for the last 4 years or so.

I had all the usual problems, ie stuck in update from Friday to Sunday until it finally worked.

I have been on the phone to Sony's so-called technical department for some 5 hours or so last week, but they go through the same old procedures all the time, such as the ones you suggested.

I was even told as I am the only one who has reported this problem, its not their fault.

Dont want to have to buy a new screen, although it will work on a 16:9 one correctly. I have been perfectly happy with this one.  The update to 1.70 is their latest idea, still waiting for them to phone me back within 48 working hours from last Friday.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately i have no other idea's (actually see below).  The reason that I think its settings, is that after a factory reset, all settings goes back to default.  You may have had a weird and wonderful setting, but finding it, I dont know. 

As you said, it works fine on a 16:9 screen - which would be the screen that the recorder is designed for (16:9 or 4:3).  But you are using a non-standard setup (16:10) - a computer monitor?? - which Sony probably cant help on.

As an Idea - You could try plugging it in using the RCA composite cables which may enable other types of settings to experiment with (on DVD recorder and Monitor).  You may have had it connected like that before changing to HDMI.  If your monitor has Video Scaling in display settings (or elsewhere) turn it off.

Other than that - It would be best to get a standard screen size - My philosophy has always been "Do it once, Do it right"

Cheers