Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-CT260H and Sony Bravia KDL42W8 no sound through arc

rick_75
Explorer

Sony HT-CT260H and Sony Bravia KDL42W8 no sound through arc

seems my post has vanished so re done it again. :S

please can someone help me,i have just brought the above tv and i have already go the sound bar,prior to this tv i was using a optical cable as my previous tv didnt support arc,but this new tv has arc,i thought why not,hmmm its not working!!!

i have tried looking everywhere on tv for settings to enable it but no joy,so looked in sound bat and put bar on hdmi/tv and hdmi c ect and still nothing

my cable cable is 1.4 compatiable as checked site it was from.

so hdmi from arc hmdi 2 to arc on soundbar

i can change channel,volume,turn off so kinda baffled to whats wrong is my sound bar faulty,only had it a few months,bought from tescos

so can anyone help me please that would be great.

16 REPLIES 16
rick_75
Explorer

i had a look on the compatable home theatre control in tv settings and mine is not mentioned? does this mean then i cant use arc?

andipavel
Explorer

Do you have the optical cable and hdmi cable both connected in the same time?

rick_75
Explorer

no the optical is not connected.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Rick,

Firstly I do not own any of this equipment but I read your last post with interest..

@rick_75 wrote:

i had a look on the compatable home theatre control in tv settings and mine is not mentioned? does this mean then i cant use arc?

If you have made all the correct settings and you are able to verify these by double checking, then I think the advice from Quinnicus would be prudent at this stage. i.e. contact Sony Support

As an addition to Quinnicus's advice, have you looked at the Sony US forum? There maybe someone there that can help you also, go here:

Sony US Forum

It could be that as the sound bar is not mentioned in the compatible home theatre settings it may well not be supported. Only Sony can help you with this information. Obviously if they confirm it is compatible then we can try and troubleshoot the other possibilities.

Be lucky! :wink:

Update to my last:

I just searched your Sound Bar on the US forum and found this post:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/HT-CT260H-HDMI-ARC-issues-with-an-LG-55LA7400-Sma...

Although the TV is an LG I wonder if somehow the symptoms you describe are related??

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
rick_75
Explorer

sounds like mine but a lg tv,so could be a wide spread problem then,well i have emailed them via there repair form see what comes of that,for now its on with the optical and that runs smoothly,even if its a wide spread problem then i cant see it being sorted as theres no way to update the bar?

i let ya know if i find out anything,rang tescos repair/helpline and his a bit baffled too and just said ring sony even tho i brought it from there ya think they would exchange it as its under warrenty seems not so simple these days.

apart from that i love the tv its a bit of a step up from my samsung ps51 d550 abeit a smaller tv but as we moved from a bigger room into the smaller back room its just right at 8 feet.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi ya,

Just a note on your legal rights, you may find the following advice useful.

You may also have better results if you return it to the store where you purchased it with a receipt of purchase if possible. Ask to speak to the manager, Customer Service Centres are rarely staffed by people who know anything about the various consumer laws.

Additionally if you bought it with a Credit Card you have additional rights there too and can hold your Credit Card Company equally liable if Tescos don't come through.

Your rights if an item is faulty

In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.

If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.

If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free

You can ask the retailer to do either, but it can normally choose to do whichever would be cheapest.

If the retailer refuses to repair the faulty goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair them and claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

If the retailer refuses to provide any remedy, such as replacing the item, you can either have your money back minus an amount for the use you've had of it, or keep the item and get a reduction on the price you paid.

If you're having problems and the shop won't repair or replace or replace your goods then it should be reported to your local Trading Standards department as they are breaching your statutory rights.

It's worth telling the shop that you're going to do this as this could mean your complaint is then dealt with.

If the retailer fobs you off, or blames the manufacturer, think about using your guarantee or warranty.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Naquada
Explorer

I have this same problem with the same soundbar and the larger size of the same TV.

If you cycle through the sound inputs using the remote rather than the buttons on the soundbar, there are two HDMI options.  HDMI & TV(HDMI).  I'm as sure as I can be that this didn't appear at first, only when I used the remote, but the soundbar may have just needed time to detect  the tv signal.