Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

SOLVED
sonrjl
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

My Sony RDRHXD970 lost all of it's digital channels last night 19th July 2013.

I could still watch programs that I had recorded, but although the digital channel guide showed channel titles, when selected each channel showed no picture. I tried rescanning and a factory reset, but each time after the channel rescan it said that it had detected no new channels, but did appear to show the correct ones whilst scanning. However, after scanning, pressing enter to continue the process, the unit appears to freeze, no picture displays and it shows "Tuning" on the front display, which does not change. Powered off/on it now shows "Update" on the display and no picture.

Given that this seems to have happened to a large number of people at the same time, this must be a bug in the firmware concerning the date or the Digital program guide (EPG) perhaps.

Given that Sony's reputation has taken a battering since the security breach in 2011, I would hope they would try harder now concerning good after sales and customer service. Hopefully  someone from Sony is checking these messages and investigating the issue and hopefully making a new software update available or other fix to solve the problem.

78 REPLIES 78
robandmag
New

Same problem as many others - lost all channels suddenly last night (19th July). This morning, HDX970 locked in Update mode. Question: if I try a full reset to factory conditions (Stop plus hold on/off for 5 secs) will I lose the programme content in the hard drive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stuck Update:

"If your recorder is stuck with UPDATE in the display you will need to hold the Power button for more than five seconds to perform a "soft" reset. It will switch off for a few seconds, then it should power itself back on again, and then it should go into REPAIR mode.

If it comes back on, and stays in UPDATE for more than a couple of minutes, again repeat the "soft" reset function. Mine took a couple of atte"mpts to clear, and power on, to a blank screen.

If you're tempted to perform a Factory Reset, (didn't make a difference on two machines I tried it on though), remember to remove any disk you have loaded, before holding down the Stop button and pressing the Power button, else it won't come back on and go into "Easy Setup".

BTW, with the recent channel changes, you may find that the EPG doesn't reflect/keep the changes, even after a rescan. In which case you will have to do a "soft reset", then a rescan, for the recorder to "remember" the new channels. However, you may lose some/all program timers you've set, so make a note of them before doing a "soft reset"!"

http://www.avforums.com/forums/19334947-post29.html

66Exbiker
Explorer

Hi

Had exactly the same problem, went on the Sony site and came up with an update to the software to version 2.4 which is supposed to fix the problem of lost digital TV.

Tried it by following the instructions to the letter, but all that happened is that the recorder locks up at the last download, so now I'm stuck with a recorder that I cannot do anything with until Monday when the Sony service site opens.

ps.

Just seen on AV Forum site that somebody has Emailed the BBC News about it (a few others have also Emailed them), seems a good idea as no company likes bad publicity!

EFBenson

Robandmag - One of the things I tried last night was a factory reset and no it doesn't delete the hard drive contents but it also doesn't help with this problem!

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

Just found this under another topic heading.

Many thousands of people are having the same problem, I have 2 RDR's,

both failed at the same time last night, a million yo one chance if it

was a single machine fault, rang 4G to see if it was there problem they

said my area not on 4g yet, but as others with Sony equipment had the

problem, to try the Feeview supplier, phoned them and they said we have

no problem with our signals, but have had hundreds and hunreds of calls

from people with Sony equipment, and it seems to be a major Sony fault.

they gave me a number, but as it is saterday no one their till monday,

would have thought an international company as they are, would have a

decent help line.

If Sony do not respond quickly, only alternatives are to flood the Government

and media with complaints eg, media watchdogs, Office of fair trading

(Equipment not fit for purpose)m and local MP's ( but as they are on

holiday!!!!)

hedgehog290
Explorer

My RDR-HXD890 has idential symptoms. The problem is being widely discussed on web forums, eg AVForums and DigitalSpy. Sony - please do your very best to fix this quickly. I have been very pleased with my recorder until now. You really don't want to lose all your loyal customers by rendering their products useless, do you...?

Flatbrat
Explorer

NOTHING will resolve the issue - only SONY can fix it - I have raised an issue on their contact-us form - see flatbrat blog for contents - looks like we will have to wait until Monday!

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

I have got the same problem with all of my Sonys, have spoken to AT800 and Digital UK and emailed Sony Support.

I would imagine that the quickest way of Sony taking notice is via Twitter and Facebook - unfortunately, I do not use either of these.

pooksyuk
Explorer

Perhaps if we rang the Head Office number 01932816000 it will get sorted before Monday.

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Tried this - the security guard said to try 0844 8466555, but they are closed too.