Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

SOLVED
sonrjl
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

My Sony RDRHXD970 lost all of it's digital channels last night 19th July 2013.

I could still watch programs that I had recorded, but although the digital channel guide showed channel titles, when selected each channel showed no picture. I tried rescanning and a factory reset, but each time after the channel rescan it said that it had detected no new channels, but did appear to show the correct ones whilst scanning. However, after scanning, pressing enter to continue the process, the unit appears to freeze, no picture displays and it shows "Tuning" on the front display, which does not change. Powered off/on it now shows "Update" on the display and no picture.

Given that this seems to have happened to a large number of people at the same time, this must be a bug in the firmware concerning the date or the Digital program guide (EPG) perhaps.

Given that Sony's reputation has taken a battering since the security breach in 2011, I would hope they would try harder now concerning good after sales and customer service. Hopefully  someone from Sony is checking these messages and investigating the issue and hopefully making a new software update available or other fix to solve the problem.

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Just had a thought - perhaps someone who's more savvy than I can contact Sony via another country who might be open now ?

dig5913
New

Sony RDR HXD 970

Same as the rest - epg tries to update  - starts to load then fails- lost epg

Happened last night 19/7/2013.

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Temporary fix found via AV Forums !! - thanks very much to captainpacific on AV Forums!

Replace channels selecting "FRANCE". It will take a couple of minutes to update the time, and ypu will need to do this again after automatic updates. - though perhaps if the machine is left on, it won't go into automatic update mode.

You will need to set to record manually, not by EPG or series record.

erwilki47
Explorer

Hi,

Sounds good for those that can get the DVD to respond. Mine is basically locked with "Update" displaying on the panel. None of the buttons work. If I hold the off button for 5 secs it goes off then comes back on (reset I think) but still displays "Update" as before. I can't therefore get it to retune as if I was in France or UK or anywhere. This is a real pain because I go on holiday soon so would like to record programmes while I am away.

Lets hope Sony resolve this shortly.

Dave.

paander3756
Explorer

Readers of this thread might like to follow the Sony UK twitter feed - @sonyUK

They seem now to be aware of the problem and are saying it has been passed on to dedicated support team.

bigalsmrs
Explorer

Snap! Last night the machine got stuck on UPDATE and having tried everything was almost at the point of thinking about a new machine! With so many people experiencing the same problem surely Sony must address this fault ASAP. Wonder if it is only in the UK or if it has gone global!

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

EFBenson

erwiki47 - I've read elsewhere in one of these threads (so many now I can't re-locate it) that if you quickly press the on/off button again after holding and releasing, you will unlock the update and be able to get into the recorder again. It worked for me.

helmsley
New

A relief to know it's not just me!  Our Hard disc recorder is displaying the same symptoms (excuse the pun).Furthermore, the contact us button on the website is proving cantankerous as it insists that mandatory fielsd must be completed, even when they are completed, and will not allow me to submit.  The tech. help website is unfortunately offline today, Sat. 20th July.

MagRMagR
Explorer

I have the same problem. My two HXD995 machines won't even power up now though. However, I do notice that in the little box that says update when the EPG channels are being update, is constantly the word UPDATE.

Could it be that Sony are having to rectify a major brain destruction caused by them (when updating channels maybe) on all machines by doing a massive data update?

Alternatively maybe everyone's machine was sent into suspended animation due to a fault when it was being EPG channels were being updated, and thus they have remained ever since?