Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

SOLVED
sonrjl
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

My Sony RDRHXD970 lost all of it's digital channels last night 19th July 2013.

I could still watch programs that I had recorded, but although the digital channel guide showed channel titles, when selected each channel showed no picture. I tried rescanning and a factory reset, but each time after the channel rescan it said that it had detected no new channels, but did appear to show the correct ones whilst scanning. However, after scanning, pressing enter to continue the process, the unit appears to freeze, no picture displays and it shows "Tuning" on the front display, which does not change. Powered off/on it now shows "Update" on the display and no picture.

Given that this seems to have happened to a large number of people at the same time, this must be a bug in the firmware concerning the date or the Digital program guide (EPG) perhaps.

Given that Sony's reputation has taken a battering since the security breach in 2011, I would hope they would try harder now concerning good after sales and customer service. Hopefully  someone from Sony is checking these messages and investigating the issue and hopefully making a new software update available or other fix to solve the problem.

78 REPLIES 78
ArcadiaSFX
Explorer

yep I have suffered the same problems with my 890 dvd recorder - setting the country to France and then disabling the EPG has at least given me the channels back - am experimenting with a timer recording now.

Manjor snafu Sony - get it sorted or I'll be going elsewhere for my new laptop...

skybluemaggie
Explorer

I have gratefully read all the posts on this forum, set my dvd to France and tried to record something on now and the picture was on for a few seconds then flashed off and I now seem to be recording a blank screen. I am so fed up, feel like buying a new recorder and it wont be Sony!

pw1119701
Explorer

Another one here - problem started last night on my HXD995. Setting to France has given me the TV back but EPG empty like everyone else.

Another major incompetence from Sony - duff update. Also had a duff update on my PS3 a few months back.

Do Sony not test anything in a test environment before deploying and  up everyones system and wasting everyones time at trying to fix it.

Will be considering not buying Sony in the future if a proper fix does not quickly appear.

[Edited to remove profanity]

pewrigh38

in my opinion sony have not actually issued any updates - yet. we are waiting for them to issue a new update to fix the problem

in most people`s opinion its a change on the freeview epg transmission that has caused the error, and I dont think sony were aware of it, nobody has even owned up to it yet either

if you get rid of the epg using the FRANCE update method, the freeview channels return and you can play recordings or dvd disks

none of my recorders has been updated, and none of the others my family and friends own has been updated either

so no its not a sony update that caused it, not in my opinion anyway

athoak57
New

Won't power up now either. Both our machines kaput at the moment. Mother with Alzheimers keeps asking and asking to watch something we'd recorded. Very frustrating all round. And nothing on their website. Should be in HUGE RED letters telling us there's an issue. There have been responses on Sony UK Facebook page saying they're aware of the issue. Still won't give us back the day watching cricket or golf, if that's your main way of watching it. AAAAAAGGGGGG!

athoak57
New

On SONY UK FACEBOOK page they acknowledge the problem, but no solution yet
johkaye
Explorer

My HXD 970, and my pal's HXD 995 are affected too.  What is going on?  Meanwhile the "France" tip will have to get is by.

The 970 had the 2010 firmware update, the 995 has never been updated.  

Cheeryl
Explorer

Same problem here unable to access epg listing as of yesterday. Have set region to France in order to manually record until official solution comes. On a separte not I am unable to update my firmware. I have created a cd and gone through the update process sereral times now to no avail. The system goes through all the stages and the unit closes the tray and powers down. However, when I restart the system and check my firmware version its still 1.24 and not 1.7 - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keeping my fingers crossed this gets fixed soon as the missus hates missing her soaps when at work

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

pewrigh38

I would try to update it again using 1.65 or an earlier firmware first, then try 1.70 again, or leave it until the fix is published by sony and try that firmware instead