Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

SOLVED
sonrjl
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

My Sony RDRHXD970 lost all of it's digital channels last night 19th July 2013.

I could still watch programs that I had recorded, but although the digital channel guide showed channel titles, when selected each channel showed no picture. I tried rescanning and a factory reset, but each time after the channel rescan it said that it had detected no new channels, but did appear to show the correct ones whilst scanning. However, after scanning, pressing enter to continue the process, the unit appears to freeze, no picture displays and it shows "Tuning" on the front display, which does not change. Powered off/on it now shows "Update" on the display and no picture.

Given that this seems to have happened to a large number of people at the same time, this must be a bug in the firmware concerning the date or the Digital program guide (EPG) perhaps.

Given that Sony's reputation has taken a battering since the security breach in 2011, I would hope they would try harder now concerning good after sales and customer service. Hopefully  someone from Sony is checking these messages and investigating the issue and hopefully making a new software update available or other fix to solve the problem.

78 REPLIES 78
LastLap

Some of us don't even understand what the 'firmware' is!!!
6string
New

Had exact same problem, hang at DOWNLOAD-5. Thanks for advice, pulled mains, functioning again - still no digital channels but can at least watch recorded material.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Does the workaround in this thread help..

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

Are Sony ever going to acknowlege this problem? I cannot believe we still have no word from them. Have they really closed down for the weekend? It's a bit like the AA or RAC only working Mon to Fri or the NHS even. I hope they get lots of flak over this. The USA Facebook page showed lots of concern and even redirected me to the UK page and gave me all the links. Mind you they are all closed for the weekend! Say something Sony, even if it's only goodbye!

fordyretired
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD790 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

We have the 120GB model & the same thing happened. Thank goodness for this web page. We were about to bin it & purchase a Panasonic equivalent because could not source the same model. Hope it can be put right because for us this Sony model is perfect.

Look forward to Monday.

Harveyshack
Explorer

I have had exactly the same problem - I can view recorded programmes but can't access channels normally and the word 'update' appears constantly in the window. Advice please ?

Gormallow57
Explorer

I'm have the same problem and have sent the following email to Sony via their web site:

I have both a RDR-HXD870 and a RDR-HXD970 DVD Recorder. Both models have developed the same fault when switched on today (19/07/13) which suggests to me that an automatic update has gone wrong. The digital tuner in both machines is now not working. No picture or sound is being output from free-view broadcasts and retuning is ineffective. Programmes previously recorded on the HDD play correctly. The digital TV guide is only displayed momentarily and is not populated with programme information. The colour scheme on the TV guide is now green rather than blue as previously. I've reset the 870 to factory settings in an effort to resolve the problem but this recorder now freezes after scanning for channels. Both recorders are connected to different aerials and TVs. Both are using firmware version 1.70. Your help would be appreciated.
Mickiete
New

A WORK AROUND

This is what others are doing on an other forum is to do a REPLACE CHANNELS scan, BUT when it asks for the country change it to FRANCE.

They are saying you will not get EPG, and when it goes to update you may need to redo it.

Mines been ok for the last 2 hours, but with no epg, but I can manually record.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

I have locked this thread in a hope that we can limit the number of thread so to avoid confusion & make it easier for users to find the latest information..

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup: